Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sunday breakfast: buttermilk pancakes with bananas, nuts & maple syrup

A simple recipe for deliciously rich and fluffy pancakes that are perfect for a lazy Sunday breakfast at home. Drizzled with warm maple syrup and layered with sliced bananas and nuts of your choice, these are positively decadent.

Buttermilk pancakes with sliced bananas, toasted nuts and warm maple syrup
(Petipannkookid vahtrasiirupi, pähklite ja banaanidega)
The quantities below will feed two, but can be easily multiplied by 2 or 3 to feed a crowd.



100 grams plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1-2 Tbsp sugar
150 ml buttermilk or kefir
1 large egg
25 grams butter, melted

sunflower oil or butter for frying

To serve:
1 banana, sliced
25 grams of nuts (pecans, sliced almond, walnuts are all good), toasted until aromatic and golden
maple syrup, heated

Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl.
Whisk the buttermilk, egg and melted butter in another bowl, then mix into the dry ingredients. Heat a non-stick frying pan on a medium, add a bit of oil or butter.
Take about 2 Tbsp of pancake batter for each pancake and fry in small batches on both sides until golden brown (about 2 minutes per side).
Keep pancakes warm in a cool oven or under a piece of foil (or do what my Mum does - she always makes one large pancake at the end and puts on top of the small ones to keep them warm).

To serve the pancakes, layer them with sliced bananas and toasted nuts, and pour over the maple syrup.

Forks and knives are optional:)

11 comments:

K and S said...

lovely breakfast!

Antti said...

Eh, now you're retaliating my octopi and crabs :) This is gonna get nasty, missus ;)

Laura said...

mmm, looks like one of those wonderful lazy-sunday breakfasts.

Oh and I like the layout, very spring-like.

Thredahlia said...

Ärgem külma piima ka unustagem (kes seda juua kannatab)! :D

Anne said...

Oh my god. You just made me SO hungry. Not a good thing at 6.43.. I definitely won't have time to make *that* for breakfast.. or maybe.. hm..

Anonymous said...

Lovely! The funny thing is that I made pancakes for last Sunday as well :-) Mine were with quark, but I was to lazy to post about it yesterday.
I will definately have to try yours next Sunday :-)

Joycelyn said...

hi pille, i'll go without fork and knife ;) that really looks like the stuff of roll-up-pick up-and-eat goodness, with the bonus of licking maple syrup off sticky fingers!

Pille said...

K&S - thanks!

Antti - yep, now it's my turn to tease again:)

Laura - you're absolutely right, it's that kind of breakfast. And I thought I need a somewhat brighter layout and colour scheme to mark the spring..

Thredalia - külm piim muidugi (by default). Teen tekstis sellekohase märke:)

Anne - No food is good at 6.43am, I agree. That's why career in politics remained so brief and I chose academia instead (can sleep longer in the mornings and have a leisurely breakfast:)

Dagmar - I'm planning to make apple & milk curd pancakes this weekend myself. Which reminds me that I'm looking forward to reading more about the apple cooking book you got for Jul!

J - I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I had quite a few with my fingers as well. They were just so perfectly soft and fluffy and syrup-drenched that I just could not resist forgetting all my good table manners:)

Anonymous said...

Lord allmighty! I can eat lots and generally eat too much but this sounds like 3 breakfasts for two in one. I'm sure it's delicious, though.

Anonymous said...

It is breakfast here now, almost, and what can I say? I would love to have THAT! Looks delicious!

Pille said...

w7 - hey - I only use 1 egg to make pancake batter for 2 - that's not soooo much?! But yes, bananas and nuts and maple syrup do make it a rather rich and very indulgent breakfast. However, I'm all worth it:)

Bea - but it's not Sunday, so you must wait a few days:)