Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Apple muffins on a spring evening

I guess I shouldn't really post a recipe for apple muffins this time of the year. After all, there's no more apples from my mum's garden left, and I cannot bring myself to buy those imported expensive, tasteless, waxy-shiny apples in the supermarket. However, as my uncle brought us a bag full of organic apples last week, you'll get yet another delicious recipe for an apple cake and a recipe for simple apple muffins this week. Hope you don't mind..

In terms of texture and taste, these muffins remind me of my Canadian apple cake. The recipe below yields 12 European-sized muffins. (I don't really know if there's such a thing as a 'European sized muffin pan', but whenever I use an American recipe that states that it'll make 6 muffins, I actually get 12 muffins with my muffin pan. If you've got one of those American muffin pans that makes six huge muffins, then increase the baking time accordingly.)

I've made these two nights in a row now. Let me remind you that there are just two people in our household and I only eat 2 muffins for breakfast and 2 for the evening snack. You can do the math...

Apple muffins
(Õunamuffinid)



150 grams butter, softened
200 ml sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla sugar
400 ml plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
100 ml milk or water

a cup of chopped apples (cored, no need to peel)

Cream butter with sugar, then add eggs one by one.
Mix the dry ingredients, sift into the butter-sugar-egg mixture, fold gently until almost combined.
Add apple chunks and milk/water, mix slightly.
Divide into prepared muffin tins (i.e. either lined with paper forms or greased with butter). Sprinkle with demerara sugar and some cinnamon.
Bake at 225C for 15 minutes, until the muffins are golden brown and well-risen.

Other apple cakes @ Nami-nami:
Grated apple cheesecake
Canadian apple cake
Simple apple traybake
Toffee apple cake with cranberries

Other muffins @ Nami-nami:
Savoury muffins with beetrot and blue cheese
Savoury muffins with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes
Dark chocolate and cherry muffins
Dark chocolate and chilli muffins
Cocoa and raspberry muffins

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! Nearly as good as the apple cake I made yesterday using some big Granny Smith apples. There must be something in the air - Spring warmth?

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! Yes, yes, yes to more apple baked goods posts! :) This looks delicious and I already know I will like them :)

Jeanne said...

Oh my word - those muffins look too gorgeous! I am a bit of a sucker for apple baked goods AND for muffins so this may be the perfect recipe for me ;-)

Pille said...

Pene - there's definitely spring warmth in the air - finally!!! And of course, Granny Smiths are an exception - I did buy them occasionally in Edinburgh:)

Joey - yes, you'd love this - as much as you liked the Canadian apple cake:)

Jeanne - well, that's a perfect recipe for you then indeed:)