Sunday, July 08, 2007

Just for once: Weekend Chicken Blogging


Click on the photo to view the slideshow!

There's Weekend Herb Blogging, Weekend Cat Blogging and even Weekend Dog Blogging, so why not Weekend Chicken Blogging? Oh well, I gather that most foodbloggers don't keep chicken as pets, and neither do we. But we did go to K's country house again (the one in Lalli), where a neighbour has a huge flock of chicken. It's not a farm as such, as they don't keep chicken for commercial purpose, but we do get our eggs from them whenever we're visiting. The eggs are smaller than the ones available in shops, but they've got the deepest yellow yolks (just check out the colour of the frittata here), and taste wonderful.

Last Saturday, we paid a visit to the chicken as well. There were loads of them - the farmer was unable to tell us the exact number:) Also, they're various local old breeds, so almost each one is different and unique. And they're all happy and very much free-range - free to roam the grounds as they please. With the help of some bribing in the form of white bread, the chicken were happy to be photographed - just check out the slideshow, either by clicking on the photo above or here. You can also view the Flickr photo set here.

PS Eksootilistest kanatõugudest võite lugeda siit, maatõugu kanadest siit.

BLAST FROM THE PAST
A year ago I was attending my friend Annika's wedding to her fiance Ben in Stockholm - you can read about the delicious Swedish wedding lunch here. Two years ago I wrote about my first ever foodblogging event - Paper Chef # 8 - where one had to combine spinach, olives, Cheddar cheese and either potatoes or cream in a recipe. I came up with these Potato Canapes with Cheddar cheese and Spinach & Olive Stuffing, which won a Golden Tomatilla from host Sarah for the Best Performance by Potatoes in a Supporting Role.

17 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Be careful, remember that Kalyn first talked about Weekend Herb Blogging as a joke - and look where that got her!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Wonderful chickens . . . remind me of my grandmothers. . . all those different colors and markings!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oops, almost forgot . . . Great boots!

Anonymous said...

The chicks are adorable! The chicken gathering is so cute too...Tana is right...great boots :)!

Kalyn Denny said...

Great photos! I've never seen chicken quite that colorful. It looks like a wonderful place to visit.

And yes, the boots (wellies?) are great!

Michelle said...

WOW, wish I had a resource for those eggs here! Very nice! And the boots, very nice also!! :)

Anonymous said...

lovely photos!

K and S said...

cute chickys! what a cool yellow color the eggs are. in japan, the yolks are orangey.

Anonymous said...

What cute little chickies! :) I used to have two chickens when I was litte...the rooster was quite agressive though...he would attack! Everyone in the neighborhood was scared of him :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, those are so cute! I'd love to see weekend chicken blogging take off. Not that I could participate myself - unless, that is, COOKED chicken would count... ;)

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

What gorgeous chickens--such lovely markings!

Katie Zeller said...

They're darling - did you take them home?

Anonymous said...

Pille - they are so cute (have you seen the ones with fluffy feet?). I have a feeling that it's going to be a popular weekend event ;) look forward to seeing more...

SheepsPyjamas said...

I do love the centipeep particularly, well, yes, that and the boots indeed... I have emotional scars from being forced to tend some... er... mildly put, temperamental chickens when I was a tot, but I have to admit, in the pictures, they're quite adorable...

Alpineberry Mary said...

Maybe "Weekend Alternative Pet Blogging"? Chickens, rabbits, fish, lizards etc. Now that'll be an event.

stephen said...

oh my god!
they are adorable!
your blog, by the way,
is beyond fabulous!
greetings from seattle!

Pille said...

Alanna - weekend chicken blogging is definitely a joke. There's no demand for such a blogging event. Is there? :)

Tanna- my grandma (who used to live in the neighbouring village from where K spent his summers!!!) only kept white chicken & roosters. These were much more colourful & cute! And thank you about your kind words about my wellies - I bought them before leaving Scotland, though I never saw pink tartan in Scotland:)

Veronica - chicks are cute, I so agree!

Kalyn - thank you - I love my wellies, too!

Michelle - sadly, we don't have a constant source either, only when we 'go to the country', which is every few weeks (and not at all during winter).

Dagmar - thank you!

K&S - orangey?? Whoah. The shop-bought eggs are usually pale yellow, whereas these chicken lay intensely yellow yolked eggs. But orangey? Is that a matter of different breed or different feed?

Joey - roosters can be agressive indeed. I was pecked by one last weekend, but my rubber wellies protected me!

Melissa - if - and only if - weekend chicken blogging would take off, then there'd always be two categories: 'Live birds' and 'Cooked poultry', for sure :)

Homesick Texan - aren't they gorgeous indeed!?

Katie - NOOO! Just 20 small eggs with yellow yolks :)

Keiko - nope, haven't seen the ones with furry feet (only in the TV). But the one with a fancy hairdo was just as good:)

SheepsPyjamas - the centipede was cute, wasn't she? Such a motherly chicken. I've got vague (probably suppressed) memories of an angry rooster, but chicken have always been tame towards me..

Mary - great idea, but not for me:) I'll stick with food (and occasional poultry-blogging:)

S&K - thank you! The chicken were adorable indeed! And they're doing fine, I checked upon them again a fortnight ago:)