Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fancy an After Dinner Mint Mousse?



Here's a clever way to combine the dessert and the after dinner mints served with coffee. The recipe is inspired by a British one using unwhipped double cream (fat content 48%, but not available in Estonia), so I've played around with quantities and serving sizes a bit. It's very-very minty and rather chocolatey - not perhaps everybody's cup of tea. But if you do fancy an after dinner mint, then you'll love it..

I used After Eight Dinner Mints, just because it's a classic, but you could try with some of the other mints instead..

After Dinner Mint Mousse
(After Eight šokolaadivaht)
Serves 6

200 g box of After Eight chocolate mints
2 Tbsp cognac or brandy (I used Georgian Gremi brandy)
300 ml whipping cream (35%)
1 Tbsp caster sugar
0.5 tsp vanilla extract (I used Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla)
fresh mint, for garnish

Put six chocolate mints aside for decorating later.

Place the rest if the chocolate mints and cognac/brandy into a small heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat on a low heat, stirring every now and then, until chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and cool a little.
Whip the whipping cream and sugar until soft peaks form, then fold in vanilla extract.
Stir one-third of the whipped cream into the cool melted chocolate mixture, to soften the latter. Then gently fold in the melted chocolate into the whipped cream, until combined and fluffy.
Divide into small dessert bowls or glasses.
(If necessary, you can cover the portions with a cling film and put into a fridge for a few hours).
Before serving, garnish with a chocolate mint square and a pretty mint sprig.

8 comments:

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Now that is a clever idea! Definitely one to try, not least because you make it sound so simple I could manage it!

lobstersquad said...

my favourite thing ever, minty chocolates! this is pure genius. Plus, my mum´s just given me an electric whisk, so I can´t not try

Deeba PAB said...

Oh yes, I'll have one please! Looks elegant & delicious!

Siri said...

After Eight mints are huge in Norway. I'll have to bookmark this recipe for the next time we have "worthy" guests over. Looks great!

Jeanne said...

I *love* after dinner mints, and this sounds absolutely delicious to me. And so easy! Definitely bookmarking this one to try.

Nicole said...

Ooooohhhhh... This looks nice!

Anonymous said...

You have presented this dish very well, using the cocktail glass. I think I will give this a try very soon even though I'm not a big fan of after eight mints. I'm sure some of my guests would enjoy this.

Anonymous said...

Unique and superb! Can't wait to try it.