Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Grilled Broad Beans (Fava Beans)



Estonians love their fresh fava beans/broad beans simply boiled in well-seasoned water - and it's a great way for showcasing the humble legume. However, when I saw Heidi's post about Grilled Fava Beans, I knew there was a good contender for the best-thing-to-do-with-broad-beans recipe. I was right - this was an excellent smokey-salty fingerfood, ideal for garden parties. I served these alongside the grilled pig's heart last week, and I'll definitely make them again next year, when I'll be growing my own broad beans in my brand new vegetable garden..

Grilled Broad Beans
(Grillitud põldoad)



Wash the beans, drain thoroughly and pat dry. Toss with some olive oil and flaky sea salt. Heat a griddle pan until very hot, then layer the pods on the pan in a single layer. Grill over high heat on both sides, until the beans are blistered and cooked through.
Eat with your fingers - that's the only way you get the flavour into your mouth :P

Other broad bean recipes @ Nami-Nami:
Broad Bean Paté
Salted Broad Beans, Estonian Style

5 comments:

Christina said...

I love them grilled that way and have been making them every spring this way for a couple years now--sometimes I throw a little chili flakes on them too. So good. Thanks for reminding me of how great they taste!

Anonymous said...

hey!your blog is really nice..i really fond of recipes...i like it very much..
gaurvi
orangy food

ptasia said...

Here in Poland, if you don't grow your own, you can only get them podded... Which does not allow for grilling ;(

thepassionatecook said...

my broad beans are still pottering along on the veranda.. what a great tip on what to do with them, will definitely try this!

Marit said...

ait2h nami-nami kooskokkamisel osalemise soovituse eest, Pille :)