Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Banana muffins with pecan nuts

Banana muffin / Banaanimuffin

Have you ever bought a bunch of bananas that, well, just don't taste right?

This happened to me last week. I had bought a small bunch from a local supermarket, so I could give some to our daughter and eat some as a quick afternoon snack. However, these tasted extremely bland, somewhat mushy and rather floury, and were just left hanging in the kitchen. Still, I didn't want to throw them away, so I compared some of my muffin recipes and banana bread recipes, and ended up making these banana muffins. Surprisingly, these tasted really well, so I'll keep that recipe on hand for next time I need to get rid of some bananas and want to eat some muffins.

I used pecans, but walnuts would work just as well (for the fraction of the cost)!

Banana Muffins with Pecans or Walnuts
(Banaanimuffinid)
Makes 12

3 medium-sized ripe bananas, peeled
2 large eggs
175 g plain/all-purpose flour
100 g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract or sugar
a pinch of salt
100 g unsalted butter, melted
50 g pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped

Mash bananas in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in the eggs.
Measure flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and vanilla sugar into another bowl, stir and then add to the banana mixture together with cooled melted butter.
Fold in the chopped nuts and stir until just combined - DO NOT OVER-STIR!
Divide into lined medium-sized muffin cups.
Bake in a pre-heated 200 C / 400 F oven for about 20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown on top and cooked.
Transfer to a metal rack to cool.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks, Pille. I have sooooo many frozen mashed bananas. Something must be done to clear out & I have everything, incl. leftover pecans & walnuts. Off I go....

xoxo

Susan

Pene said...

Next time add some kama and/or oatmeal/bran for a little extra fiber. I also add a teaspoon of baking soda to my muffins which gives a little more lift. And a sprinkle of cardamom and/or cinnamon doesn't go astray. Warm regards from cold Tartu.

Patricia Scarpin said...

That is a good looking muffin, I'll say! Pille, hand me over two, please. ;)

Unknown said...

It's hard to find good muffins nowadays...

If only I had the skills for baking.

Missing my mother's pastries!

Thank you for the recipes!

Marika said...

Pille, where did you buy the pecans from? I don't think I've ever seen them in Tallinn.

Maru said...

Igavamekilised banaanid on praegu jõudsalt levimas ja turu headelt banaanidelt üle võtnud. :S
Jõhvikatega smuutis, aga üsna talutavad...

Pene said...

I've bought pecans at Stockmann's supermarket.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, these are delicious! Many thanks for the recipe!

Best, Georgiana Darcy