Friday, February 14, 2014

Chocolate Muffins Recipe

Nami-Nami chocolate muffins / Nami-Nami šokolaadimuffinid
Recipe repost. This was originally posted in February 2010.

I'm jumping on the Valentine's Day bandwagon here. I must admit it's not a holiday that we celebrate, really. Though Valentine's Day/Friends' Day has become increasingly popular amongst the younger generation here in Estonia, I was out of high school way before that trend began here. But it's a good excuse to bake some chocolate muffins and decorate them with heart-shaped sprinklers :)

When I started looking for a good chocolate muffin recipe, I realised that the choice was endless. Instead I took my excellent rhubarb muffin recipe, replaced the rhubarb with chopped dark chocolate and added some cocoa powder for extra colour and deeper chocolate flavour. The muffins have a very low fat content, as most of the butter has been replaced with yogurt/sour cream - resulting in moist muffins with a nice crumb. I loved them!

Chocolate Muffins
(Mõnusad šokolaadimuffinid)
Makes 12 smaller muffins

2 large free-range eggs
125 soft brown sugar
135 g plain flour
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
150 g plain yogurt or sour cream
50 g butter, melted
100 g coarsely chopped dark chocolate

Whisk eggs and sugar until light and frothy.
Sieve flour, cocoa, baking powder and vanilla sugar into a bowl, stir to combine.
Fold the dry ingredients, yogurt/sour cream and cooled melted butter into the egg and sugar mixture.
Finally add the chopped chocolate.
Spoon the batter into muffin tins that have been lined with paper cups. Sprinkle with heart-shaped sugar sprinklers*, if you feel like :)

Nami-Nami chocolate muffins / Nami-Nami šokolaadimuffinid

Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 200 C/400 F oven for 15-20 minutes, until the muffins are cooked and have risen nicely.

* I used some from Finnish company MEIRA - I liked how the baked into the muffins. No need for a frosting to keep them in place :)

19 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet with all the little hearts!!!!
Have a good weekend!

Hannah said...

Those are so cute! And they look yummy.. although I think I might try the rhubarb ones first :)

Andrew said...

a man can never have enough muffin - especially chocolate ones (although I'd skip the little hearts as being a touch too girly!) :-)

Roxy said...

Just baked a batch. Delicious.

Valentina said...

What a great recipe!! really love it.

Kara's "Original Greek" said...

hi Pille... good post! I really enjoy visiting here.. your food is different, and exiting! and im always a soft touch for muffin..

Tluxe said...

Hey there,

We have been reading the articles on your website and are very impressed with the quality of your information.

We have a team of copywriters who specialize in writing articles on various topics and would like to write an original article for you to use on your website – this article will not be used anywhere else on the Internet.

In exchange all we ask is that we can have one or two links within the body of the article back to one of our sites.
If you are interested in having us write an article for your website please just let me know and we would be more than happy to have one written for you within two weeks.

Kind regards,
Papia

Kat said...

yum, these look great, i've never made chocolate muffins for some reason, always fruity and nutty ones, but now I have a recipe at hand so there's no excuse to keep procrastinating :D

ChichaJo said...

I like how the hearts have baked into the muffins too...so sweet :) I won't say no to a chocolate muffin!

Stevi said...

it's the second time i made these today, this time for my son and his friends, and they kept them quiet for quite a while, so thanks, they are so delicious. xx

Unknown said...

This is unrelated to your recipe, but what camera did you use for these pictures? They are beautiful!
Thanks.

Pille said...

Matteo - they're cute, arent't they?

Hannah - cute indeed. And I really loved the muffins!

Andrew, well, you don't feel that your masculinity is threatened by a few pink hearts, do you?? ;)

Roxy - thank you, luv!

Valentina - thank you!

Kara - well, I try to keep an "Estonian touch" to my blog. These muffins are truly universal, however :)

Papia - I can manage my own articles, thank you.

Kat - no reason indeed!

ChicaJo - I guess we both will be decorating cakes with pink hearts to please our little girls soon ;)

Stevi - so happy to read that!!!

Katie -thank you! I don't get compliments for my photos so often. I used Canon EOS 400D Digital. You can click on the photo - Flickr photo page will give more details.

gift to the Philippines said...

Chocolate muffins is really great. I always buy it on grocery store, but I never try to bake like that. Anyway, thanks for the recipe. Looking forward for your next post.


-pia-

Flower store in uk said...

Gorgeous work, thank you for sharing this method.

Amy ~silk bouquets said...

The muffins look pretty delicious :)I like the pink little hearts on top of it, it looks really girly and so cute :)

Florist Sydney said...

The little heart-shaped sugar sprinklers made more inviting, so cute, I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Those muffins looks great. I usually go by a more classical recipe (it's on my blog btw: http://theonewiththefryingpan.blogspot.se/2012/03/more-chocolate.html) but I'm definitely going to try this one.

Unknown said...

the idea pleasant write-up, it is quite of great help for me cheers.
Similar Food blog

Anonymous said...

I have found something that helped
me. Appreciate it!Concept of food