Friday, February 19, 2010

Green Fruit Salad

Fruit salad / Roheline puuviljasalat

Making fruit salads during summer is easy. Take some strawberries, apples, pears, wild forest berries, juicy apricots or nectarines - basically, whatever is in season - slice, dress, garnish and serve.

During winter - at least in this part of the world - it's a lot more difficult. We're in the middle of the coldest and snowiest winter many of us can remember. None of the local fruits are in season, and the imported stuff is often of questionable quality. However, here's a recipe I've made few times that seems to suit the chilly climate of the moment. You can find reasonably good and sweet kiwi fruit, and the grapes (all imported, of course) in the shops at the moment.

I guess what I like about this simple salad is the colour. The vibrant green reminds me that the Spring is just around the corner, however unlikely it seems in Estonia at the moment...

Green Fruit Salad Recipe
(
Roheline puuviljasalat)
Serves 4 to 6

4 to 6 ripe and sweet kiwis
250 g green (seedless) grapes
half a lime, juiced and zested
a drizzle of maple syrup

Peel the kiwis and cut into thin slices. Wash the grapes, halve and remove the seeds, if necessary. Drizzle the kiwi slices and grape halves with lime juice and maple syrup, place on a serving bowl.
Scatter the lime zest on top and serve.

7 comments:

Jess - Healthy Exposures said...

mmm- yummy! I always forget about making fruit salads...I always just end up eating it as I'm preparing it! haha. But this definitely sounds like it's worth waiting for :P
I haven't had a kiwi in FAR too long.

Lisa said...

wow...sounds wonderfully refreshing!

Anette said...

Tere Pille!
Mul on kohe mitu küsimust:-)
Avastasin enda jaoks sellise toreda foorumi nagu Nami-nami ja lugesin, et on käimas tordivõistlus. Kiire pilguga vaadates ei leidnud aga kuskilt tähtaega, kas veel jõuab osaleda?
Kas sind tohib oma blogilisti lisada? Tere tulemast ka minu blogisse: http://colliemamma.vuodatus.net/
Tv, Anette

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite too! I have added also some (canned) pineapple. It gives nice sweetness for the sallad. I have served this kind of sallad with chocolate cake or fondant.

Joy said...

This looks really good!

Claire said...

My husband loves fruit salad, so I prepare it very often. I've tried this recipe - it was the first time I prepare fruit salad with maple syrup - we loved it. Thanks!

Claire (baby cloth diapers)

Rosa said...

Looking for some tasty, fruity recipes that are easy and taste great? Check out http://www.fruitundressed.com/recipes/index.html.

This message is being posted on behalf of Del Monte and we hope that it is of interest for you.