Friday, March 11, 2011

Honey Granola Recipe - simple, but delicious

Honey granola / Röstitud meemüsli

I've been making my own granola for years now, using different recipes so we wouldn't get tired of this specific breakfast staple. I've made malted granola, chocolate granola, rye granola, honey granola - to name just a few. However, I've just realised that I've only shared one of the recipes with you - malted granola - back in January 2009.

Here's another recipe - slightly simpler than the malted granola one, using honey as a sweetener. I like this one with just raisins, but feel free to add your choice of chopped dried fruits to the granola at the end.

Honey Granola Recipe
(Lihtne mesine granola)

250 g old-fashioned oats (about 3 cups)
100 g almond slices
8 Tbsp runny honey
4 Tbsp neutral oil
4 Tbsp water
raisins or currants (optional)

Mix oats and almonds on a large baking sheet. Mix honey and oil in a small bowl, then add water and stir again. Pour the liquid mixture over the oats and mix until everything is well combined.
Roast in a pre-heated 150 C / 300 F oven for about 30 minutes, shaking the pan every now and then, until the oats are golden and slightly crispy (they crisp up even more when cooling down).
Remove from the oven and cool. Fold in the raisins.
Keep in an airtight container.

5 comments:

Nisrine M. said...

The simplest recipes are the best. I like that you didn't add any sugar. I wouldn't have either.

Easy Recipes said...

Great post thanks for the recipes. Check out my recipes also!

Kate Elliott said...

I just arrived at your blog and I'm already in love with it and adding it to my favourites! I was first most interested when you said you were Estonian - I am too!! Or, at least half Estonian anyway, but it's the heritage that I'm most proud of! I love, love, love the granola recipe too! My mother-in-law has given me one much like it several times, but I always forget waht to do! Thanks for sharing! And, I invite you to come check out my blog too at www.katescuisine.com.

Pene said...

What kind of oil would you call neutral?
My guys eat the muesli I buy really quickly, so maybe I should make some.

Pille said...

Nisrine and EasyRecipes - thank you!

Kate - glad you have found Nami-Nami! I've got lots of Estonian recipes - hope you'll find something new and intriguing ;)

Pene - I use Olivia's rapeseed oil (Estonian brand), but a light olive oil would work, too.