Monday, May 08, 2006

Cheesecake, with curd cheese and lots of lemon

Lemon cheesecake / Sidruni-kohupiimakook

I'm back from a very relaxing weekend in Cambridge, which means that nothing was cooked in my Edinburgh kitchen during the last few days. I did help my host to cook a buffet lunch for ~20 yesterday, but I was too occupied to even think about taking out my camera. Hence this recipe of a lemon curd cheese cake I made more than a few weeks ago. I've posted a recipe for a lemony curd cheese cake before, but this is a very different cake altogether. With its dense texture and intense lemon flavour and scent, it cuts beautifully and would be perfect for early summer picnics.

Lemons

Lemony curd cheese cake
(Sidruni-kohupiimakook)
Adapted from the April 2006 issue of Olive
Serves 8 or more

Lemon cheesecake / Sidruni-kohupiimakook

150 grams butter, softened
150 grams caster sugar
2 to 3 juicy lemons (depending on your taste), juiced and zested
3 medium eggs
300 grams low-fat milk curd cheese or ricotta
125 grams plain flour
2 tsp baking powder

Cream the soft butter with caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, whisking thoroughly each time.
Mix in lemon juice, grated zest and curd cheese. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix the dough until combined.
Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold into the dough, little by little.
Pour the dough into a buttered and floured 24 cm cake tin.
Bake in the middle of 180C oven for 40-50 minutes, until the cake has risen and is lovely golden brown.
Let it cool for an hour in the tin before cutting into pieces and serving.

PS If you like raisins, then this cake would happily accommodate some. Maybe soaked in some rum or lemon liqueur beforehand?

Photos replaced in 2010

10 comments:

shaz said...

that looks great! thanks for sharing!

Clivia said...

Mmmm, that looks lovely. Picnic time is truly here! Picnic in one of Stockholm´s parks is a lovely way to meet friends and have dinner after work...

chili&vanilia said...

Dear Pille,
I'm so late with that, but still, my best wishes to you for your Birthday!!Boldog Születésnapot! (In HUN)
And that cake sounds very yummy, I love just every kind of cheesecake. Zsofi

x said...

Pille i had missed your lovely food. I am catching up. Lemony things are my favourite so i am going to try this one.

Valentina said...

Pille, I rather like this recipe. I have to try it some times. Copying it.

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I've never had anything like this before.

Musisid,
Paz

Anonymous said...

Nice to take some cooking breaks all the same!!! Looks lovely!!

Pille said...

Shaz - you're welcome.

Clivia - I wish I had a nice balcony like you - I'd be having 'picnics' every day. Luckily I have a very nice park nearby!

Zsofi - the cake is great, you should try it! Thanks for the bd wishes:)

Chloe - welcome back! I've just booked my tickets to Greece, so I'm already beginning to crave all the nice dishes I can eat there;)

Valentina - great! Let me know what you thought of it.

Paz - I think it has kind of northern/eastern european touch to it, but I'm sure you'd like it.

Bea - thank you. And yes, sometimes it is nice to take some cooking breaks, although I was cooking in Cambridge as well. I'm having another one break next week, as I'm being whisked away to a long city-break on the continental Europe:)

Pene said...

I finally had an opportunity to make this yesterday, but only had 1.5 lemons (just enough!). When it had cooled I spread some black currant jam over the top & drizziled some icing over it. The black currant jam complemented the lemon nicely. I'd bought the jam last Thursday when we visited the Bison Farm near Rakvere. And our Australian guests love it. I'll definitley be making it again.

Pille said...

Pene - you sound like a very skilled and confident cook - ALWAYS making changes to recipes:)
Glad to hear that you and your guests liked it, and the addition of blackcurrant jam sounds delicious.
I didn't know there was a bison farm near Rakvere!? I need to check it out when I return.