Monday, November 20, 2006

Cooking for kids: Salmon fishcakes with green peas

Just a child-friendly recipe for a change. I made these while staying with Dianne & Peter and their children Maarja-Liis (8 yrs) and Maarek (12 months) in Edinburgh just before leaving. These were especially popular with the wee boy, though the adults (including me) ate them just as happily.

The recipe is adapted from a recipe in BBC Good Food 'Fresh family food' supplement, November 2006. I don't like canned salmon, and didn't want to use tartar sauce, so replaced them with fresh salmon and cream, respectively.

Salmon Fishcakes with Green Peas
(Lõhekotletid hernestega)
Serves 4



400 grams of potatoes, boiled and mashed (or use leftover mash)
400 grams of salmon filet
100 grams frozen green peas, defrosted
a generous handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp cream
salt and pepper

4 Tbsp semolina or plain flour (I prefer the former), for forming the cakes

4 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil, for frying the cakes

Put the fish filets into a glass bowl and microwave for 4 minutes at 600W, turning them around after 2 minutes, until cooked. (Alternatively, poach in little water). Mash with a fork.
Mash the boiled potatoes in a big bowl. Add the cooked fish, peas, chopped mint and cream, season with salt and pepper, and mix until combined.
Form the mixture into small fishcakes, dip these into semolina or flour. Shallow-fry in hot oil for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
Serve with a fresh green salad and a slice of lemon.

8 comments:

Valentina said...

Pille, like you I do not like canned salmon at all. Not even in emergencies. What delectable dish. How did the kids like preparing it with you? Are you back in Estonia now?Sorry but i had been absent for a while so I am still catching up .

Anonymous said...

Hi Pille!

The salmon fishcakes were fab, thanks for posting them up your blog.

Anonymous said...

I love the colors in your photo - those deep greens and oranges look like they are super flavorful.

Ari (Baking and Books)

Anonymous said...

They look adorable, nice colours. I've never had canned salmon, but normally everything is better fresh :-)

Thredahlia said...

Need näevad ju täiskasvanulegi väga isuäratavad ja värvilised välja :) Pealegi retsept kõlab ka maitsemeeltele hästi.

Brilynn said...

These look tasty. Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious - I'm going to try them soon. My mom used to make something similar when I was little, but the peas were on the side. Thanks!

Pille said...

Valentina - the 8yr old was at school and the 12mth too young to really help, although I tried to engage him by telling him what I was doing. Practicising for the future, just in case:)

Dianne - glad to hear that (though I knew you liked them:)

Ari - thanks, they did look inviting indeed.

Dagmar - I tried canned salmon once, also for fishcakes, and was very disappointed. Good-quality canned tuna I like though.

Thredahlia - no ega siis muud, kui proovima:)

Brilynn - thank you!

Hedgehog - let me know how you liked them, please.

Mallika - I hope your fussy hubby liked these! I must check what my wee bit fussy bf thinks of them, too:)