Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Copycat: Stevi's Dreamy Carrot Soup, with adaptations

It's been snowing for a few days in a row now, and I'm getting slightly worried for my first visitors from Edinburgh, Emma & Michael, who will arrive this Sunday. I don't think they are really aware how cold it is here in Estonia compared to Scotland. In any case, I've already warned them to pack their woolen socks, winter hats and thermal underwear, and have been thinking of comforting and heart-warming dishes to prepare while they're here..

Emma is a vegetarian, so when I saw Stevi's recipe for a dreamy carrot soup, I quickly realised this could be served one day, maybe after a brisk walk in the blizzard one afternoon (evening walks would obviously be followed by a few leisurely hours and lots of cold Estonian beer in sauna). I made this soup for lunch on Monday, and it's indeed dreamy, with a lovely sweet taste which is emphasised by the addition of orange juice. I adapted the recipe a little to include some swede/turnip, as I didn't have enough carrots in the house and I had bought an organic swede from the market just a few days ago.

A dreamy carrot and swede soup
Adapted from Stevi over at Bread and Butter
Serves 2-3



2 Tbsp butter
3 large carrots, scrubbed clean and chopped
1 medium swede/turnip, peeled and chopped
1 litre of vegetable stock (I used 4 tsp of Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon and a litre of water)
zest and juice of 1 orange
sea salt and black pepper

Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry gently for 5 minutes.
Add chopped carrots and swede, stir and add the boiling hot vegetable stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
Purée the vegetables in a blender (keep the stock!), return to the saucepan.
Just before serving, season to taste and reheat the soup gently. Stir in the orange juice and garnish the soup with grated orange zest.
Serve with a crunchy bread.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely Pille. Snowy landscapes are beautiful, I love them, never get tired of snow..

Anonymous said...

Hello from down under in New Zealand. I was searching the blog world when your blog popped up. I had a quick look - very interesting blog & recipes. I would like to mention your blogs on one of my blogs, but I don't know which one.

If you want to have a look at my blogs, just click on my name.

Pille said...

Bea - snow is wonderful. It has melted now, but hopefully we get some more this weekend!

Kelvin - welcome and thank you for your kind words. If you do want to mention your blogs, then your foodie blog would probably be the best choice:)