Monday, August 13, 2007

Ximena's El gazpacho de Escolástica, or the best gazpacho in the world

Those of you who read Ximena's blog, Lobstersquad (and you all should, because it's brilliant!), already know that 1) she's the talented illustrator behind my new banner, 2) she has some great tips for cooking sausages, 3) she's holidaying in Estonia at the moment, and 4) she knows her gazpacho. So much so that earlier this summer she gave her dear readers an all-encompassing in-depth virtual flash-course in gazpacho-making, introducing us to the do's and dont's (Gazpacho 101), the basic recipe (Gazpacho 101.2), variations on the latter and allowed garnishes (Gazpacho 101.3), and last, but not least, a recipe for El gazpacho de Escolástica, or the best gazpacho in the world (Gazpacho 101.4).



Last weekend, after a day of forageing the forest for wild mushrooms and forest berries, we stocked up on tomatoes in one of the local supermarkets. I'm extremely relieved to note that Ximena totally approved of the tomatoes available, as I was a bit worried she'd declare them incomparable to the Spanish ones and utterly unsuitable for gazpacho-making. She then whipped up a large batch of El gazpacho de Escolástica to feed six hungry diners. Her brilliant gazpacho was served as the starter that night, followed by three types of fried wild mushrooms picked earlier during the day (gypsy mushrooms, various ceps, yellow chantarelles) and a dessert of Finnish bread cheese in a creamy rum sauce and served with fresh cloudberries.

Anyway, back to the gazpacho..

I must say that I haven't had much gazpacho in my life. I've only been to Spain once, in 2004, and spent most of the time either catching or recovering from sunstroke (stroke) heatstroke. But even with my limited gazpacho experience I can say that Ximena's gazpacho was indeed outstanding - smooth and silky, excellent-tasting, beautifully coloured, so simple, yet so sophisticated. And J., Ximena's darling husband, agrees, and claims this gazpacho is as good as his mother's - which, as we all know, is the ultimate compliment from any Mediterranean man ...
So head over to Ximena's blog for that gazpacho recipe. I'll be stocking up on tomatoes later this week, hoping that I manage to convince Ximena to whip up yet another batch of it coming weekend..

12 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

It is time to start the annual great gazpacho feed. It seems every year when tomatoes hit their high time, I start making gazpacho and have it every day for lunch at least. Sometimes dinner too.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've been making gazpacho for a few weeks, ever since the tomatoes hit the local farm stands. I'm not sure Ximena would approve of my slightly nontraditional recipe! It's fun to imagine the two of you having a holiday together, as I adore both your blog and hers.

Anonymous said...

This is something I love to have when the weather's hot (which is often over here) :) Nice to see you guys are having fun!

Alanna Kellogg said...

OH MY -- I'll have to wait til Wednesday but know just where to get the Italian frying peppers she lists ...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've had my eye on that recipe for a while! I'm glad to hear it has your seal of approval - now I really can't wait to try it!

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

That's so funny, I posted on gazpacho yesterday too! I guess it's just that time of year. We're all hot and in need of refreshment! Yours looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

So inviting Pille! Love the light on your last photo!

K and S said...

this sounds so refreshing! I may have to give it a try!

Karen Baking Soda said...

If I promise to make this delicious looking/sounding gazpacho can someone send some of the weather that goes along with it to the Netherlands? Please?

Thredahlia said...

Gazpacho on tõesti midagi, mida peaks proovima ise valmistada ja selle kodumaal ära maitsma. Mul pole olnud au kumbagi teha. Mõlemad on pikemas perspektiivis plaanis :P

PS! Mul on selline karvane tunne, et me jagame lauakatteid :D

Kalyn Denny said...

How fun learning about Gazpacho from the talented Ximena. We're going on two weeks of temperatures over 100 F here in Utah, so I'm thinking I need to make some gazpacho myself.

Pille said...

Tanna - that sounds healthy and fun!

Lydia - we had great time together, and as they had great time on the island, too, then it may have not been our last time to meat. Looks like a beginning of a beautiful friendship:)
Will you be sharing your non-traditional gazpacho recipe?

Joey - it was wonderful meeting Ximena indeed!

Alanna - mmm. Did you find the Italian peppers? We actually used the 'normal' red bell pepper from the supermarket - apparently that's fine, too.

Melissa - a very definite seal of approval!!! PS Do you need more suluguni cheese?

Figs Olives Wine - your green gazpacho looked really refreshing - I need to give that one a go, too!

Bea - thank you! The light here during summer is wonderful - still never fails to amaze me!

K&S - refreshing, and very easy, so definitely worth trying!

Baking Soda - it might have - finally! - moved towards west. The hot weather, I mean, as suddenly the temperatures are extremely tolerable here in Estonia:)

Thredahlia - võimalik. Sobisid hästi me söögilauaga.. Tallinna Kaubamaja kodukaupade osakond:)

Kalyn - I felt really privileged indeed!