Thursday, September 27, 2007

Something exotic: Coconut Chicken Curry, Trinidad style

I've got quite a few Estonian recipes lined up for you during the next few weeks - so much so that I thought it might be a good idea to post something exotic for a change. Although while I certainly do want you to come here whenever you want to read about and cook something Estonian, I don't want to be typecast as 'that Estonian blogger who only posts about Estonian salted broad beans, nettle soup, beef liver gravy, and desserts made of kama.

I can do more than that :)

Here's a recipe for a Coconut Chicken Curry adapted from Globetrekker TV I made last weekend. We both enjoyed this mellow and fragrant curry, and will be making it again when we fancy something more exotic.

Coconut Chicken Curry, Trinidad style
(Trinidadi kana-kookoskarri)
Serves 4



500 grams chicken breast or thigh fillets (I used the latter)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 lemongrass stalks, inner parts finely chopped
2 Tbsp rum*

2 Tbsp oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 Tbsp curry powder**
250 ml coconut milk
1 red chilli pepper

a small bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, finely chopped

boiled rice or quinoa to serve

Cut chicken pieces into bite-sized chunks. Mix rum, finely minced garlic and lemongrass stalk in a small bowl, add chicken chunks, toss, cover with clingfilm and put into the fridge to marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, add onions and sauté for 5 minutes on a low heat. Increase heat, add chicken pieces and fry until the colour has changed, stirring to enable even browning (about 8 to 10 minutes).
Add curry powder, stir for a few seconds, then add coconut milk and finely chopped chilli pepper.
Simmer on a low heat for another 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens and chicken cooks through. Remove from the heat, stir in chopped coriander/cilantro and serve with boiled rice or quinoa.

* I used Havana Club Añejo Reserva rum
* I used Caribbean Poudre de Colombo Curry Spice Blend from Seasoned Pioneers, which contains cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek, black peppercorns, turmeric and cloves. My dear foodblogging friend Johanna gave it to me as a gift this summer.

12 comments:

K and S said...

this sounds rich yet spicy.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

You hit all the right tastebuds - I was just flicking through my curry book and thinking I am craving for something spicy. Looks great Pille!

Anonymous said...

This looks really yummy Pille! I enjoy all sorts of curries and this one sounds fantastic! I love that you marinated the chicken in rum...that is my favorite drink for cocktails! :) I have to try this!

Anonymous said...

I've never marinated chicken in rum - I'm loving this recipe already!

Deborah said...

This looks so full of flavor!

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds very good to me.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Coconut chicken curry (which we first had when we visited Trinidad some years ago) is a favorite comfort food in our house.

Scott Plunkett said...

what do you do to keep the lemongrass from ending up woody?

Helene said...

Great recipe. I love the flavors going with the chicken, coconut and rum and the spices.

Scott Plunkett said...

re: woody lemongrass - I chopped it very fine and it turned out great.

Pille said...

K&S - it was very flavoursome, but luckily not too hot!

Meeta - I'd love to read your curry books one day - your collection of curry recipes must be the best!

Joey - rum gave this dish a nice, mellow sweetness - definitely something to try again.

Veron - as I said, you cannot really taste the rum, but it gives the dish this 'little extra'. Just like vodka in this tomato sauce.

Lydia - so I've discovered a great recipe, eh?

Chz - that's what I did, too. Bash the stalks with a wooden spoon, then remove the outer tougher layers, chop the inside finely. Lovely!

Tartelette - it was a good recipe indeed!

Deborah, Kalyn - thank you!

Kerstin Klein said...

I´ll be making this today. I´m hungry all ready. ;)