Saturday, April 19, 2008

Estonian Recipes: Black Pudding Chips



Almost three years ago, just few months into my foodblogging thingy, I told you about a beautiful part of Estonia, Lahemaa, and a nice lunch I had with my mum, sister, nephews and a friend in a tavern in Altja. One of the dishes they served us were thin black pudding chips, and I had been thinking about making them ever since..

Not sure why it took me the better part of three years, but few weeks ago I finally picked up a suitable black pudding in the grocery store, and made them at home. Note that for black pudding chips, you need verikäkk - a thicker and denser cousin of verivorst, our typical Christmas fare.

In order to make the tasty black pudding chips above, remove the outer casing, and cut the pudding into thin slices (ca 3-5 mm is about right).

Place the slices on a baking sheet and place into a 100-110 C (225-240 F) oven for about 35-45 minutes, until the chips are dry-ish and crispy. Flip them over after about 20 minutes, so they'd cook evenly.

Serve with a cold sour cream sauce, seasoned with freshly grated horseradish or finely chopped garlic.

(Veritsipsid)

11 comments:

Greg said...

These look very interesting. Do they come out crisp like a cookie?

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

My list of this kind of thing is getting really long. I wonder if I can find this verikäkk in Dallas Tx? We'll see, because these look like really fun fare to enjoy with beer and friends!

Sylvie said...

I like black pudding and this looks like a great way to have it.

Andrew said...

I just love black pudding - the best one I have found comes form the sausage shop in Bath. I usually slice and fry but am going to have to try 'your way'.

Kristopher said...

This might be a hard sell in the US, then again they're probably just as tasty and addictive as chicharrones.

lobstersquad said...

interesting. would morcilla stand up to that? I wonder, because it´s not very firm, but if I try I´ll let you know.

Alanna Kellogg said...

Can't SEND e-mail but can RECEIVE. May I call you? Don't make your plane reservations yet!

Jeanne said...

Oh my word that looks incredible! I am a huge black pudding fan (unlike Nick!) so this looks like a real treat to me.

Anonymous said...

I think you've helped me discover the most perfect food on earth. this is almost CRIMINAL! Here in the states it's so much more difficult to get black pudding than in other places. Not sure why American's haven't adopted it. We've got so many other seemingly 'nasty' things here. hell, gimme a black pudding chip over a mcdonald's fry any day!!

amy @ we are never full

Anonymous said...

Could please tll me how blackpudding is named in estonian language?
Maybe you know any names of blackpudding producers (companies) in Estonia?

Pille said...

nemunas, black pudding is 'verikäkk' (and black sausage is 'verivorst'). I believe we used Max & Moorits brand for making these black pudding chips.