Friday, July 25, 2008

Oven-baked Chicken with Feta Cheese



I'm not doing much cooking these days. It's too hot, I'm not in the mood, and I'm taking it easy on my summer vacation. Of course I do cook - and I've already made quite a few nice jams for the winter - but it's mostly tried-and-tested old favourites of mine, so there's not much to blog about. However, here is one of those old favourites that I do need to tell you about. The recipe is based on this Swedish Arla recipe. I remember making it quite regularly about a decade ago, and was happy to rediscover this dish again. A whole chicken breast with cheese topping is a bit too much for us, so we've split the fillet sideways (?). If you've got a mightier appetite, then feel free to use a whole chicken breast per person and extending the baking time by 10 minutes.

Oven-baked Chicken with Feta Cheese
(Ahjus küpsetatud kanafilee fetaga)
Serves 4

2 large or 4 small chicken breast filets (ca 600 g)
100 g feta cheese, crumbled
200 ml sour cream or creme fraiche or plain yogurt
a pinch of dried oregano
freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of salt

If using large chicken breasts, then cut them into two layers and gently pat and form into filets again (or simply use four small chicken breasts and pat thinner).
Season with pepper and just a little bit of salt. Place into a oiled oven-proof dish.
Mix feta cheese with sour cream, season with oregano. Divide the mixture on top of chicken fillets.
Bake in the middle of 200 C oven for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and feta topping is golden.

Serve either with baked potatoes and vegetables, or a light summer salad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Just look at the provenance of this! Greek Feta Chicken gets around!

Pille said...

I had no idea that it's such a popular recipe :)

Jeanne said...

Mmmm, I find EVERYTHING tastes better under a blanket of feta cheese :) Love how *red* those tomatoes are!