Monday, December 05, 2011

Gingerbread muffins

Gingerbread muffins / Piparkoogimuffinid
Gingerbread muffins, anno 2011

This recipe was originally posted in December 2008. It's been fully updated, and new photos are included.

Everyone likes a good muffin, and during Christmas time, this should be a Christmas muffin :)

There are endless variations on the theme. You could bake small cupcakes and garnish them with something Christmassy. Or you could simply add your favourite Christmas spices (say ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom) into your regular plain muffin recipe (and still glaze them afterwards). Or you could throw in a generous handful of red berries (lingonberries or cranberries) into your muffin batter to give them the festive feel.

Here's a recipe for very simple muffins - made special by the use of dark muscovado sugar and a mixture of gingerbread spices.

Note I've measured the dry ingredients both in grams and in volume. A standard American cup is 240 ml, so 100 ml of muscovado sugar would be a half a cup minus a heaped Tablespoon etc.

Gingerbread muffins
(Jõulumuffinid)
Makes 12 medium-sized muffins

Gingerbread muffins aka Christmas muffins / Jõulumuffinid e. piparkoogimuffinid
Gingerbread muffins, anno 2008

2 large eggs
85 g dark muscovado sugar (100 ml)
50 g butter, melted and slightly cooled
100 g sour cream or creme fraiche
120 g plain/all-purpose flour (200 ml)
1.5 tsp baking powder
25 g ground hazelnuts or almonds (50 ml)
2 tsp gingerbread spice or mixed spice or pumpkin pie spice

icing sugar, for dusting

Whisk eggs with sugar. Add the melted butter and sour cream. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, fold into the egg-sugar-butter-sour cream batter.
Spoon into muffin cups and bake in the middle of 200 C/400 F oven for 10-12 minutes, until muffins are cooked.
Let cool a little, then dust with icing sugar.

Gingerbread muffins / Piparkoogimuffinid
Gingerbread muffins, anno 2011

This recipe was also included in my latest cookbook, Jõulud kodus ("Christmas at Home"), published in Estonian in November 2011.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love gingerbread but never too much at one time. The muffins are great -- you can eat one (or two?) and put the rest in the freezer.

Victor Chisholm said...

This is the kind of recipe I like: Should I use butter? Should I use sour cream? Why choose, I'll use both, and I'll throw in some ground hazelnuts for good measure!

ChichaJo said...

This is making me feel very Christmassy Pille, thank you :)

~~louise~~ said...

Mmm...these gingerbread muffins sound heavenly. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your link, I recently posted for Gingerbread House Day and these muffins are just the addition I need. Thanks so much for sharing...

Anonymous said...

i love your suggestion of adding christmas spices. you can do this with some cookie recipes too. yum!

Trailing Mira said...

Yum! Thank you for this recipe.

Jeanne said...

Gingerbread spices just give everything a little extra lift - I love them. Great looking muffins!

Pille said...

Lydia - I've never had to resort to freezing muffins, but yes, it'd work well :)

Victor Chisholm - ehee :)

ChichaJo - making you feel Christmassy was the very point of this recipe. Glad it worked!

Louise - of course not..

Molly - adding Christmas spices to regular desserts is a great way of making them more Christmassy without much effort..

Trailing Mira - you're welcome!

Jeanne - thank you, thank you!

Annie said...

Wow, cool!! I will make these for my parents tonight. I also want to know if I can use margarine instead of butter? Do you think the taste will be comprised?