Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Spiced Rhubarb Cake Recipe

Rhubarb cake / Rabarberikook

I've baked probably about dozen rhubarb cakes and tarts over the last few weeks, and I still haven't had enough. Rhubarb is the first local "fruit" (I know it's actually a vegetable, but it classifies as fruit for the cooking purposes, a bit like quinoa counts as a grain, even if it is not) to arrive on the market stalls, and after a long winter season of mediocre imported fruit flown if from the other side of the world, it feels like a blessing. I'm proud to say that I managed to resist buying the imported pink forced rhubarb stalks that arrived about a fortnight earlier - and the sweeter the home-grown rhubarb tasted (if one can use that word in relation to rhubarb :))

Here's one simple tray bake recipe, made special by generous amounts of cinnamon and cardamom, and the lack of eggs. It's soft, tender and tasty. Choose the pinkest rhubarb you can find, and you're guaranteed one Pretty in Pink cake (note that I never peel my rhubarb stalks. Cannot see the point, unless they're very large and stringy, in which case it's better to avoid them anyway).

Serve with icing sugar or vanilla custard. Keeps fresh for a few days because of the buttermilk content.

Spiced Rhubarb Cake
(Kevadine rabarbri-plaadikook)

Rhubarb cake / Rabarbrikook

500 ml kefir or buttermilk (2 cups)
50 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
200 g sugar (1 cup)
300 g plain/all-purpose flour (2 cups)
100 ml potato starch/cornflour (just under 1/2 cup)
0.5 Tbsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 Tbsp freshly ground cardamom
0.5 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Topping:
400 g rhubarb, sliced thickly
7 Tbsp muscovado sugar

Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F. Line and/or grease a baking tray (ca 25-30 x 34 cm)*.
Combine the kefir/buttermilk and melted butter.
Combine the flour, potato starch, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and cardamom. Fold in the buttermilk mixture.
Pour or spoon the batter into the baking tray, scatter rhubarb on top and sprinkle with sugar.
Place immediately into the oven (the baking soda starts reacting with the buttermilk as soon as they come into contact) and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown on top.

* I cooked mine in a baking tray sized 25x34 cm, but you could easily use a large tray. Reduce the baking time accordingly.

Other rhubarb cake recipes @ Nami-Nami:
Rhubarb Sponge Cake with Almonds
My favourite rhubarb muffins
Rhubarb and coconut tart
Gluten-free Rhubarb Crumble
Creamy Rhubarb Pie

11 comments:

Heatherfeather said...

This really looks wonderful! I wish I had some rhubarb to try it tonight. I am saving the recipe, thank you for sharing :)

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

yum. I want a piece for breakfast. i bet the buttermilk makes the cake very moist

Victor Chisholm said...

Rhubarb cakes, yum yum! I'm partial to taking a standard recipe for gingerbread (can supply one if you wish) and folding lots of diced raw rhubarb into the dough. The "fruit" is so lovely with the molasses-spicy cake.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I'm definitely going to try this -- my neighbor keeps offering rhubarb and I hate to turn it down, but have run out of ideas for how to use it. Cake is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Spiced Rhubarb Cake Recipe" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info

Kat said...

oioioi, need rabarberimuffinid, millele sa siit linkisid tunduvad lausa super. kindlasti kindlasti proovin. ja kook tundub ka tore :)
koorimata rabarberitest siis nagu ma aru saan :D

Pille said...

Heatherfeather - you're very welcome!

Jackie - yes, it's a moist and rather soft-textured cake. Very comforting!

Victor - that's a gread idea. I've got plenty of soft gingerbread recipes, so I'll experiment with this.

Lydia - I've got too many rhubarb recipes myself. The only thing I'm running out of, is time and the number of eaters :)

Marchall - appreciated.

Kat - ofkoos :)

Valentina said...

Pille, looking forward to making it. just wanted to clarify the amount of potato starch.should it be in grams - it is in ml.\Thanks.

Pille said...

Valentina, I didn't measure potato starch in grams, just used my millilitre measuring cup. An American cup is ca 250 ml, so 100 ml is 1/10 of a litre, aka a little under half a cup (or 7 even Tablespoonfuls).

Sabeen said...

Very nice sharing and beautiful work. I like it. Your Cake recipe is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I just start to use rhubard! Thanks for your great recipe, it is so yummy.