Monday, October 19, 2009

Lingonberry cheesecake



If you're stuck for lingonberry recipe ideas, then let me suggest you this creamy lingonberry cheesecake. A friend of mine came over for a coffee about a fortnight ago, bringing me a large tub of lingonberries she had picked herself. Although I've got some good stand-by lingonberry cake recipes (some of them here on the blog: lingonberry and chocolate cake, Swedish lingonberry cake), I wanted to try something new and different. Using my regular cheesecake filling, I came up with this lingonberry cheesecake recipe.

As all cheesecakes, this is best made a day before you want to serve it, so it is completely cool and set.

Lingonberry cheesecake
(Pohla-toorjuustukook)
Serves 6 to 8

Pastry:
100 g butter, softened
85 g caster sugar (100 ml)
1 large egg
175 g plain flour (300 ml)
0.5 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

Filling:
450 g full-fat cream cheese (1 pound)
85 g caster sugar (100 ml)
2 large eggs
0.5 tsp vanilla extract
finely grated zest of half a lime

Topping:
100 g lingonberries (about 1 cup)

First, prepare the pastry. Cream butter and sugar. Mix the dry ingredients, then mix into the butter mixture together with egg. Press the pastry onto the base and sides of a buttered 26 cm springform tin. Put into the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.

Prepare the filling: Mix all ingredients - if you wish, you can use an electric mixer for that (though stirring thoroughly with a wooden spoon does the job as well, as long as the cream cheese and eggs are at room temperature). Pour into the pastry base.

Scatter the lingonberries on top.

Bake in a pre-heated 180 C /350 F oven for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is almost set and the cake is light golden brown on top.

Let cool completely before trasnferring onto the serving plate.

8 comments:

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

What a great idea! I have never tried to put lingonberries in a cake!

Ragne said...

oh kui isuäratav! Pean ka miskit pohladega ette võtma, polegi see aasta ühtki pohlakooki meitserdanud...

Pene said...

Thanks for the idea, Pille. I was given some & need to freeze them in small batches for later use.

David T. Macknet said...

It looks quite yummy!

~~louise~~ said...

I've never tried to put lingonberries in a cheese cake either. I'm sure it wouldn't be possible to use with the the jar I have from Ikea. How about on top of the cheesecake. Never thought to do that until this very moment. Thanks for sharing, Pille.

P.S. I "landed" here while doing a search in my engine for a recipe which includes apples & pumpkin. I found one in your archive, Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

To whom it may concern,

My name is Nick, and I am Web Editor at Hg2.com - a luxury publishing company based in London.

We would like to pitch an idea to you, but to do so we will need a direct email address. If you could drop me a mail at nickc@hg2.com, that would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Nick Clarke
nickc@hg2.com

Yuri said...

yum. I'm not sure I've ever had lingonberries...I may have to try some :)

tiina said...

This recipe sounds perfect - the bitter sweet combo works always! Happy Halloween to Estonia!