Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Time for soup: lentil and coconut soup


Proper autumn has come somewhat suddenly this year. I've got vague memories of enjoying the warm autumn sun and a cup of coffee on our newly installed patio only recently. But that's all history now - the winds are really chilly and strong, there's hardly been a day without rain during the last week or so. We've turned on the heating indoors and I'm wrapping our daughter into several layers whenever we're going outdoors. It's been already snowing in the south of Estonia, and we've had night frosts as well. Winter's soon here...

Which means it's a perfect time for filling and chunky soups that heat both your heart and your body. Here's something I made for dinner just few days ago.

Lentil and Coconut Soup
(Läätsesupp kookospiimaga)
Serves 4

2 cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp turmeric
200 g red lentils ("Egyptian lentils"), rinsed and drained
500 ml (half a litre or two cups) hot vegetable stock
400 g can crushed tomatoes
250 ml (one cup) coconut milk
fresh coriander/cilantro for garnish

Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, add ginger, onion and garlic and fry on a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring regularly. Do not burn!
Add turmeric, hot stock, tomatoes and rinsed lentils. Give it a stir, bring into a boil. Then reduce heat, cover the saucepan partially with a lid, and simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft.
Stir in the coconut milk, heat through.
To serve, divide into soup bowl and garnish with a coriander leaf.

9 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Oh my! This is going right into my "to-try" folder!

Malitsu said...

Tere! Mul on sul midagi oma blogis: http://mammituokkonen.blogspot.com/2009/10/kreative-bloggers.html

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

This sound something very exotical! It must be really good. :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds great, I'm going to go try this today.

Joyce said...

Can I use the dried lentils available at my Supermarket? I am not familiar with Egyptian lentils.

Joyce said...

Did some more research and find that Egyptian Lentils are it seems the dried lentils commonly found in the Supermarket. I am cooking the soup now and from my tasting, I think it will be yummy!

Pene said...

I made this soup last night, adding a little sprinkle of cayenne powder for a bit of bite & some cauliflower & corn. Hubby was very impressed & liked it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I recently moved to Tallinn, and have enjoyed trying some of your recipes. I'm having trouble finding certain ingredients in the supermarkets, however. Do you know where it is possible to buy vegetable stock? Thanks!

Pille said...

Kalyn - thank you :)

Malitsu - lähen piiluma!

Chocolaty Lifestyle - anything with coconut is exotic to Estonians (and thus also me :))

Anon. - enjoy!

Joyce - small red/orange lentils are also known as Egyptian lentils (and they're dried, of course).

Pene - so pleased to hear that!!!

Anon, - welcome to Tallinn!!! Hope you're not too shocked about the weather :) Vegetable stock is easy to make yourself (happy to send you a recipe), and I don't even know if you can buy it anywhere (perhaps Marks & Spencer @ Rocca al Mare or Kristiine Keskus). However, you can also use organic vegetable stock cubes/powder available at smaller organic shops. My personal favourite is Swiss Marigold Bouillon Powder, but it's not available in Estonia...