Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Eggnog Recipe



After reading about the popular American Christmas tipple, eggnog, for years, I finally took the plunge and made some last weekend. We loved it, and I'm probably making another batch tonight for tomorrow's Christmas Eve dinner, and then another one for the New Year's Eve party. The recipe below is based on Melissa's and Elise's recipes, and make an excellent Christmas-time drink.

Eggnog
(Eggnogi jõulujook)
1 litre (serves about 6)

4 large eggyolks
100 g caster sugar
500 ml milk (2 cups)
1 vanilla pod
1 cinnamon stick
250 ml whipping cream
2 Tbsp bourbon whisky
2 Tbsp dark rum

freshly grated nutmeg, to serve

In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks until frothy, then slowly beat in the sugar, whisking until fluffy.
Combine milk, cinnamon stick and vanilla pod (halved lengthwise) in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Slowly heat mixture on medium heat until it is steaming hot. Do not boil! (If you're not in a hurry, then remove the saucepan from the heat and let infuse for 30 minutes. Slowly reheat again before proceeding).
Temper the eggs by slowly adding ladlefuls of hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of the spoon (candy thermometer should show 71C). Do not allow the mixture to boil, or the heat will curdle the egg yolks!
Remove from heat and immediately stir in the lukewarm cream (this will bring the temperature down and keep it from curdling).
Remove the vanilla pod and cinnamon stick. Cool until lukewarm, then stir in the bourbon and rum.
Chill before serving. NB! Grate some nutmeg on each serving!!

10 comments:

Katrina said...

yumi! I remember in Estonia they used to sell bottles of alcohol which I thought was the eggnog, which was locally made...am I completely dreaming it up?:)

Puhvis Kukk said...

Pille, you really ought to try the uncooked version - much more refreshing and light. I have a recipe up on my website.

Jake said...

In the US it's customary to grate nutmeg onto eggnog just before serving, but I'll have to try the cardamom next time - it sounds divine.

Anonymous said...

Pille, I do believe our American eggnog is a close cousin of British posset - I am sure we got the idea from the Brits! I am going to have to try cardamom in my eggnog; I think it would be a nice variation on the traditional nutmeg. I agree with the others that uncooked eggnog is lighter and more refreshing; some have an issue with uncooked eggs, but if you know your egg source, you should be fine.

Roxy said...

Just what you need when it's -10 in Berlin!

Kat said...

Jaa! mina olen ka aastaid mõelnud selle peale, et peaks proovima seda teha, aga pole julgenud. Sinu oma näeb fantastiline välja.

Claudia said...

No need to buy it when it's not that difficult to whip up. And, with the egg whites you could do a couple of chocolate souffles. Thanks Pille

diana said...

Winter Holidays as beautiful and quiet, which will fill the soul with joy, confidence, hope and love!

Pille said...

Katrina - I've never bought a similar drink in Estonia, but they do sell a local egg liqueur.

Puhvis Kukk - I'll check it out soon! However, this was really light as well, and smooth and silky. Exactly my cup of tea! :P

Jacob, I meant nutmeg, not cardamom, sorry!!! :)

Anon. - I'll need to look up some Posset recipes. Perhaps Jane Grigson's English cookery??

Roxy - yep, this would hit the spot. Or some Glühwein :)

Kat - usu mind, see on imemaitsev :)

Claudia - I used mine for some peppermint-flavoured meringue kisses!

Diana - thanks!

AlchemistGeorge said...

This sounds good, I'd like to try this because I'm wondering how much the heating (cooking) thickens the mix. The non-cooking eggnog recipes I've made have been fairly thin - unless they are all air that has been whipped in.