Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oatmeal with banana and maple syrup

Oatmeal with banana and maple syrup / Kaerahelbepuder banaaniga

I don't post nearly as many breakfast recipes as I should. You see, although Nora is eating solids now and is a very happy eater, then there's still only two proper eaters in our house. Despite of that we bake lots of cakes and quiches and tarts and pies (all for the good of the users of my Estonian site). On most days, we have something for dinner and then eat the rest of the cake or tart for breakfast the following morning, so I rarely make special breakfast dishes (Sunday morning pancakes is an exception, of course). I know I should eat oatmeal or other hot cereal for breakfast much more often, but a slice of yesterday's cake is a lazy, but quick alternative.

However, I may have just stumbled upon a hot cereal recipe that I might bother to make even if there's some cake in the house. My dear blog friend Alanna has posted several healthy oatmeal recipes (one of which - Alanna's famous oatmeal with peanut butter - she served me when I visited her in St Louis in Summer 2008). I added a generous drizzle of maple syrup to her Stovetop Oatmeal with Whipped Banana, and LOVED IT!

What's your favourite breakfast? And how do you like your oatmeal?

Oatmeal with banana and maple syrup
(Kaerahelbepuder banaaniga)
Serves 2 to 3

1 cup of old-fashioned/rolled oats
1 cup of milk
1 cup of water
0.5 tsp salt
1 large ripe banana, peeled and thinly sliced
maple syrup, to serve

Mix oats, milk, water and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat and stir for a few minutes.
Add the sliced banana and continue simmering the porridge for about 7 minutes, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon, until the oats are ready.
Serve at once with a generous drizzle of maple syrup.

10 comments:

Liina said...

See võib küll imehea olla :)

Alanna Kellogg said...

Very cool, if I'd known you weren't so into oatmeal, I'd have made this for you too! :-)

Hannah said...

I'm more an oatbran than an oatmeal person myself, but it's my favourite breakfast. Usually I just cook it with Vanilla Chai-flavoured soymilk and serve it with a huge spoon of peanut butter over the top... but I'm really liking the sound of this "whipped in" banana version!

Anonymous said...

Mind huvitab, kas Eestis erijämedusega jahvatatud kaerajahu ka müüakse, mis on Uk-s poes oatmeal nime all?

Pene said...

During the cooler weather we have oatmeal/porridge for breakfast every day except Sunday when I bake muffins. But we make the porridge in the bowls & cook it in the microwave oven, so there is no saucepan to scrub. If you don't want a mess in the microwave, cook it at 50% level for 3 to 4 minutes. Then we add milk & brown sugar before eating.

Pille said...

Liina, see oli täitsa mõnus!

Alanna - it's not that I'm not into oatmeal, it's that I don't get to cook it so often :) PS Today I made your peanut butter oatmel, using on-the-stove-method. Lovely as well!

Hannah - I'm pretty sure I saw a recipe for Chai oatmeal somewhere?!

Anon. - raske öelda. Kaerakliisid ja kaerajahu ja kaerahelbeid on kõikjal, aga neid "steel cut oats" pole kuskil...

Vincent - I'm flattered you think Nami-Nami would be a suitable candidate..

Pene - I don't like using microwave for making food, as I'm not totally convinced it's harmless. I only use it for melting butter and heating milk for hot chocolate. Washing a saucepan isn't such a bother, esp. if you have a dishwasher :)

natural selection said...

Was that Canadian maple syrup? just curious? delicious!

Term Papers said...

really delighted... wonderfull blog.. nice to see this .

Anonymous said...

this does sound really really good!

recently on a visit to ireland I had oatmeal with honey, cream and raisins. now that was delish!

Kärt said...

Väga maitsev hommikueine, olen juba mitu korda teinud :)