Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Quick elderflower mousse

Elderflower and cottage cheese cream / Kodujuustukreem leedrisiirupiga

One of the quickest and most typical desserts in Estonia is curd cheese pudding - a mix of whipped cream and some curd cheese - that's usually served with some fruit or berries. Here's a twist on that recipe that uses more widely available cottage cheese. Instead of sugar, I've used undiluted elderflower cordial to sweeten the mousse, and give the dessert a lovely floral fragrance. The cottage cheese leaves tiny lumps in the dessert that I loved, but you may want to "warn" your guests (or press the cottage cheese through a sieve first).

Looking for more elderflower recipe ideas? Here are some:
Elderflower, coconut and lemon curd cake
Elderflower curd
Strawberries with elderflower zabaglione

Quick elderflower mousse
(Kiire leedrikreem)
Inspiration: Swedish Arla site
Serves 4

200-250 ml whipping cream
1 tsp of sugar
250 g plain cottage cheese
50 ml (3-4 Tbsp) elderflower cordial

Whisk the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Add the elderflower cordial and continue whisking, until thick and airy. Gently fold in the cottage cheese.
Spoon into four dessert glasses, decorate with sliced fruit or berries.
Serve.

2 comments:

Anna (Morsels and Musings) said...

mmmm. great idea! so simple too.

Magdalena said...

I can see that I have found a new interesting food blog. I can see that you have a lot of Estonian recipes, and i nice number of Scandinavian. I will have a look at them tonight. I do not know Estonian culinary traditions too much, but I believe that they are closer to Finland, Sweden than Russia. Is that true? Or maybe I am wrong? Ten years ago I spent some time in Norway (wester part) and that was my only culinary adventure with food from the Northern Europe.