Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Meatloaf-beetloaf

Meatloaf/Beetloaf / Peedi-hakklihavorm

Time for another beetroot recipe, don't you think?

Here's a nifty way to make your everyday meatloaf slightly more interesting, colourful and flavourful - by adding some grated cooked beetroot. The resulting "beetloaf" doesn't just have an amazing colour, but it's also lovely and moist. I like to serve this with a cold tartar-style sauce, and some mashed potatoes.

Meatloaf with beets
(
Peedi-hakklihavorm)
Serves six to eight

500 g mince (I used a mixture of 70% beef and 30% pork)
400 g cooked beetroot, grated
2 finely chopped onions
100 ml (6-7 Tbsp) dried breadcrumbs
1 large egg
some freshly grated nutmeg
salt and black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing until you've got a uniform mince mixture.
Take a large loaf pan and brush it with melted butter or oil. Transfer the mince mixture into the loaf tin, smooth the top.
Bake in a pre-heated 200 C / 400 F oven until it's cooked through and lovely golden on top.

4 comments:

Katren said...

Wow, that looks great. I just love all of your beetroot recipes. They are such a wonderful vegetable.

Alanna Kellogg said...

Beet fans unite!

Unknown said...

It really does sound good. I'm just learning to cook with beets. Never cared for them before. Now I find myself liking the taste. :-)

So, I have a question. Do I grate the beets before or after cooking them?

Pille said...

Katren - what can I say - I heart beetroot, so cook a lot with it. And I'm glad that there are at least some beet fans 'out there' :)

Alanna - exactly!!

Freya - you cook the beets, then grate them (hence "cooked beets, grated" :))