Monday, April 11, 2011

Meatless Monday: Oven-roasted pepper and gnocchi with feta cheese

Gnocchi with roasted tomatoes and peppers / Gnocchi röstitud tomati-paprikapadjal

I find gnocchi so much more interesting than pasta recently - there's more bite to them and I love their pillowy shape. In any case, I find myself throwing a packet of fresh potato gnocchi into my shopping cart much more frequently recently. I've blogged about one of the gnocchi dishes on the blog earlier - Gnocchi Puttanesca - and here's my latest find. I started with a recipe for oven roasted pepper and garlic gnocchi in an old issue of British Delicious. However, I more than doubled the amount of feta cheese required (the original recipe had a just 75 grams of feta for four persons - that's nearly not enough, don't you agree!). Also, I LOVE roasted feta cheese, so I adapted the recipe further.

Oven-roasted pepper and gnocchi with feta cheese and rocket
(Gnocchi röstitud tomatite, paprika ja fetaga)
Serves 4

600 g ripe small tomatoes, quartered
2 red peppers, deseeded, cored and cut into chunks
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 tbsp olive oil
500 g fresh potato gnocchi
200 g feta cheese, crumbled
50 g fresh wild rocket/arugula
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 220°C/450F.
In a medium-sized roasting tin, toss together the tomatoes, peppers, garlic and olive oil. Season. Roast for 25-30 minutes until softened. Remove from the oven and mash all the ingredients with a fork to a thickish, coarse sauce. Season to taste and return to the turned-off oven to keep warm.
Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi in lightly salted boiling water according to the packet instructions or until they come to the boil and float on the surface of the water. Drain well and toss in the tomato and pepper sauce. Scatter with the feta and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or so, until feta is slightly golden and warmed through.
Top with rocket leaves, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.

7 comments:

Roxy said...

A recipe after my own heart!

MT Hough said...

That sounds fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I made the dish tonight for dinner and everyone loved it! Thanks for the dinner idea ;O)

Meghann said...

Roasted red peppers and feta were meant to be together. One of my favorite combinations! I'm going to have to try this.

Cathy said...

This looks fabulous! I'm in love with gnocchi right now as well. I made this great ricotta gnocchi I will be blogging about soon!

Chloë said...

Made this the other night, absolutely amazing!!!

Thank you so much for another great recipe =)

Pille said...

Roxy - excellent :)

Melissa - thank you!

Carissa - you're welcome and so happy to hear you enjoyed the dish!

Meghann - I so agree :D

Cathy - will be looking forward to that recipe!

Chloe - thank you, thank you :)