Saturday, June 04, 2011

Strawberry and Almond Cake

Strawberry and Almond Cake / Maasika-mandlikook
Picture taken in July 2008

Do you use strawberries for anything else but various _cold and uncooked_ desserts and puddings? 

I realised that I _almost_ never cook strawberries, especially sun-ripened local ones. They're just too luscious and delicious as they are, and I usually run out of them before I manage to start thinking about including them in a cake (and in any case, my repeated attempts to include strawberries in a clafoutis have ended with a disaster). However, there is one baked strawberry cake that I've been making again and again over the years. The recipe is from an old issue of BBC Good Food, bylined by their previous editor Orlando Murrin. I've simplified the recipe a little over the years, and it's been on my early summer table at least one every year. It's delicious both warm or cold (I love it warm with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream).

I think I'll be baking one later tonight :Pc

Almond and Strawberry Cake
(Maasika-mandlikook)
Serves eight

175 g ground almonds
175 g unsalted butter, softened
175 g caster sugar
175 g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 eggs, whisked
400 g strawberries
icing sugar/confectioner's sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line the base of a loose-bottomed 24 cm cake tin with greaseproof paper and butter the sides.
Mix almonds, butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and eggs in a food processor just until the ingredients are evenly combined.
Spread half the mixture over the base of the tin in a smooth layer. Lay the sliced strawberries on top. Spread the remaining cake mixture over the strawberries.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, until slightly risen and dark golden brown when cooked.
Cool in the tin slightly, then loosen the edges with a knife and remove from the tin.
Transfer onto a serving plate and dust with icing sugar.

4 comments:

Meatloaf Recipe said...

What a delicious looking almond Cake! I want to eat this :) Thanks a lot for the recipe.

Cooking Courses said...

This cake looks wonderful. We have guests for lunch this weekend and I'm going to make this for afternoon tea! Thanks

Anonymous said...

Nõus Sinuga, et küpsed maasikad on kõige maitsvamad värskelt süües. Kuumutamine rikub nad ära.
Parema meelega kasutan neid maasika-hapukoorejäätise valmistamiseks!

anunturi gratuite said...

This is a great recipe and for sure very delicious. I`ve tried it yesterday, and all my family was really impressed. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.