Friday, June 03, 2011

Rhubarb and rye bread soup

Rhubarb and rye bread soup / Rabarbri-leivasupp

Couple of years ago, when I blogged about Estonian rye bread soup, the idea of a 'sweet' bread soup seemed very unusual to most of my (non-Estonian) readers. But trust me - the rye bread soup is cheap (usually using stale rye bread) and cheerful, and very tasty. Here's a seasonal version of the soup, using pale pink rhubarb stalks. Whereas the rye bread soup isn't particularly sugary-sweet anyway, this late spring/early summer version is even lighter and with a slight and welcome tang.

Rhubarb and rye bread soup
(Leivasupp rabarbriga)
Serves six to eight

Rye bread soup with rhubarb / Leivasupp rabarbriga

400 g rhubarb, cleaned
200 g rye bread
1 litre water
100 g caster sugar
a cinnamon stick
some vanilla extract

To serve:
sour cream or yoghurt (optional)

Break the rye bread into chunks, place into a pan with 1 litre of cold water. Leave to soften for a few hours.
Bring slowly into the boil.
Cut the rhubarb into thick slices, add to the pan with sugar and cinnamon stick. Simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes, or until the bread and rhubarb are soft and mushy.
Season with vanilla.
Cool before serving.


Alanna Kellogg said...

Pille - Is this dessert, then? I've got rhubarb, for sure, though not quite so pretty as yours!

PS Spam commenters (like the one above) are barraging your site. If you turn on comment moderation, Blogger will catch 90% of them, the other 10% aren't much to manage.

Pille said...

Alanna - yep, it's a dessert, although it could also be just a late afternoon "snack" :)

And trust me - that silly comment above was one of those 10% that Blogger didn't catch and I hadn't yet removed.