Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mayonnaise in 60 seconds (video recipe)

I first read about the incredibly simple immersion blender/hand-held blender mayonnaise over at Delicious Days almost two years ago (read here), but didn't try this method ourselves until a few months ago. We're certainly not looking back into the traditional "whisk until your arm hurts/add oil one drop at a time" method soon. Here's why:



The video has the recipe in Estonian, but here's all you need:

Making mayonnaise / Majoneesitegu

1 whole organic egg (M or L)
1 tsp (Dijon) mustard
1 Tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar (I used lemon juice)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
250 ml (a cup) of oil (NOT extra-virgin olive oil*; I used rapeseed oil)

ALL INGREDIENTS MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE; YOU NEED AN IMMERSION BLENDER/HAND-HELD BLENDER FOR THIS METHOD

Place all the ingredients in a high beaker (I used a glass jar, simply because it was more photogenic than my old battered plastic beaker :)) in the order given above. Place the top of the immersion blender over the egg, and hold the ON-button. Once you see the streaks of mayonnaise appearing at the bottom of the glass/beaker, slowly start moving the blender upwards, until you've got a beautiful mayonnaise.

Season to taste and serve at once.

Keeps in the fridge for a day or two, but best eaten on the day it's made. After all, it's all natural and fresh.

* Nicole uses sunflower oil, and she helpfully refers to Cook's Illustrated (March/April 2009) in her pesto blog post:
Extra-virgin olive oil contains bitter tasting polyphenols coated by fatty acids, which prevent them from dispersing. If the oil is emulsified in a food processor, these polyphenols get squeezed out and the liquid mix turns bitter.

SO, are you a convert yet? What's your favourite brand of shop-bought mayonnaise? If you make your own, what's your favourite method/recipe?

17 comments:

Saee Koranne-Khandekar said...

Omg, that video was so beautiful! And the recipe is a definite keeper. I loved how everything came together so beautifully in that jar! Love love love!

Joy said...

Brilliant - and so easy! Thanks for the great video.

Mari-Liis said...

Nii tore klipike, Pille!
Kasutan ka "saumikseri majoneesi" juba ammu, avastasin selle lihtsa ja mugava meetodi 4-5 aastat tagasi saumikseriga kaasas olnud kasutusjuhendist, kus olid ka mõned retseptid:)Aga õli (rapsi pooleks oliiviga) olen valanud ikka saumikserdamise ajal peenikese nirena. Tuleks nüüd proovida kõike korraga suristada:)

Johanna said...

I'd never have thought of trying that... Seems to work a treat! Lovely video!

maxi said...

Brilliant! I will share this on our Facebook page, you're welcome to join. :)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/TortaTortaTorta

maxi said...

Sorry, the correct link is http://www.facebook.com/TortaTortaTorta

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I'm usually too lazy to make my own mayo, but this video inspires me and I'm going to make some today. Thanks, Pille!

Anonymous said...

super äge video! ja äkki kunagi ikka jõuan ka ise majoneesi tegemiseni..
katre

Kärt said...

Issand jumal küll ma just tulen köögist ja ma ei osta enam kunagi majoneesi poest! See on täiesti brilliant! Aitäh! :)

margie said...

I've made mayo in a regular blender before with decidedly so-so results, but I never thought to transition to an immersion blender - instead, I used it as a semi-regular arm workout.

I would mention for anyone who likes olive oil mayo or who wants aioli, I'm sure you could halve the amount of oil in the original mixture and then hand whisk in olive oil to make 250 mL. I may try that this weekend, in fact.

Åsa said...

OMG! What a super nice and beautiful video! I just tried making my own mayonnaise but, as always, it got to runny. I got a tip about your blog, from Anne's Food, which I'm very happy for. Now, I keep my fingers crossed, and, just wait for the egg to be at room temperature :)

Unfortunately my blog is in Swedish (but once in a while I do write a post or two in English) and I've been written about you and your mayo-video now. And, of course linking to your blog a couple of times too.

görel said...

So brilliant, I found this through Åsa above and tried it out this morning. Magic! But I wasn't too keen about the taste of the egg white, so I tried agian with two yolks and a little less oil. I worked too, and I got just the taste I wanted!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Oh yes, a convert! I've used your method to make basil mayonnaise in a post on my blog today.

Maria said...

Wonderful! And all the oil at one time! I add garlic - et voilà! Aioli!

Anonymous said...

Wow ... so easy ! I added a bit of chopped shallot .... think because of it I need to add a bit of sugar ....

Mich said...

Great post-nice video, very useful and easy to do! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I used this method and was absolutely amazed. The only thing I would say is don't use "rapeseed" oil because it's canola oil which is almost 100% GMO. I used rice bran oil which has nutritional value and it's very mild, doesn't have a strong flavor like olive oil or flax seed or others. Thanks for showing this...it's a revelation! I've shared it with others.