Thursday, February 02, 2006

And again: a creamy mocca apple pie

I know I said the Canadian apple cake is my very favourite apple cake, but this doesn't mean it's the only apple cake I ever make. I also have a simple weekday apple cake and few other recipes up my sleeve. And this creamy mocca-flavoured one is one of these.

A creamy mocca-flavoured apple pie
(Kohvimaitseline õunakook)
Source: "100 kooki Pereköögist"



Batter:
200 grams butter, softened
200 ml sugar
1 egg
100 ml potato starch
250 ml plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Filling:
200 ml strong coffee
1 Tbsp dark muscovado sugar
3 large apples, cored and sliced

Mocca topping:
100 ml sour cream/creme fraiche
1 egg
50 ml strong coffee
75 ml dark muscovado sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar

Start with the filling: mix coffee with sugar, add apple slices and set aside to infuse a little.
For the base, cream softened butter and sugar, mix in the egg. Sift flour, potato starch and baking powder into the batter and mix. Smear (that's the best word, as it's too soft to press and too thick to pour) the batter, using your hands, into a buttered 24 cm pie dish.
Cover with coffee-infused apple slices and bake at 200˚C for about 20 minutes, until the batter isn't wet anymore and the cake looks just slightly golden.
Mix the topping ingredients (you can use the same coffee you soaked the apple slices in) and pour evenly over the cake.
Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the cake is lovely golden brown.
Let it cool and serve.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pille - this pie looks beautiful and the flavours are really interesting. I must give it a try some time! I'm going to make a cake tonight for my friend's birthday, it's got apples too :)

Journal Actif said...

Ahhh!!! This one is definetly for me to try. Apple and coffee together in a pie. Sweet!
Thank you.

Pille said...

Hi Keiko - thanks! I quite liked the apple&coffee combination, though I'm sure you can think of a much more equisite sweet using these two ingredients!

Zoubida - oh do give it a go! It's very different from the Canadian apple cake, thou!

Anonymous said...

looks like another thing to do
my cousin left now another friend is here
and since athens is warm ;-)
we haVE been going out a lot

ask your greek friends about VOLTES

Pille said...

Hi Sha - thanks for the tip about "Voltes", I'll check it out!