Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Takeaway Scottish porridge

If you're one of those persons that starts each new year with new and promising resolutions of eating more healthily, exercising more etc, then we're in the same boat. I haven't even thought of my list for 2007 yet, but one of the items on that list should be 'eating more porridge'. Firstly, a proper porridge is one of the healthiest breakfasts you can think of. It's warming properties make it especially suitable for chilly winter mornings. It's a real fast food, usually not taking more than five minutes to make. It's also really-really cheap, even if packed into fancy portion-sized sachets. It can be really tasty (I'm particularly partial to a local four-cereal porridge containing full corn rye, oats, wheat and barley), especially if served with a dollop of home-made jam.

Despite of this, I still grab a pot of yogurt or make a sandwich more often that I'd like to...

But let me tell you, I'd eat even more porridge, if there'd be Stoats Porridge Bar near me. These canny mobile porridge bars were found in early 2005 by couple of Scottish guys. They were rather conveniently located at the Meadows in Edinburgh, which is close to university. They also have a stand (sorry, a mobile porridge bar) at the Edinburgh Farmers Market on Saturday mornings as you can see from the picture below.



Basically, these guys have sexed up the humble porridge. They use the best type of organic oatmeal, and turn it into creamy and silky porridge. As if this isn't good enough on its own, they serve the porridge with fantastic optional extras. The menu reads like a cake selection in a fancy cafe: white chocolate & roasted hazelnuts; whisky & honey; chunky orange marmalade, etc. My favourite was Cranachan porridge:



Cranachan is a Scottish pudding I've mentioned before (here). For this porridge, creamy organic oatmeal was mixed with some cream, whisky toasted oats (they even use my favourite whisky from Jon, Mark and Robbo Easy Drinking Whisky) and topped with fresh raspberries.

As good as it gets.

I'm off to make my new year's resolutions list...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is SUCH a cool idea! I love it. I wish we could find this here. I will have to go to Scotland!!!

Happy New Year Pille! May you travel a lot, always ;-)

Anonymous said...

If with or without porridge, I do wish you and all you love a Very Happy New Year ! I hope the happy story will be continued forever and we will get to see some glimpses of it on your lovely blog ! Take care and I am looking forward to many more foodie interacts, much love from Vienna, angelika

Anonymous said...

Ilusat uut aastat!

ja need alguse lubadused...igal esmaspäeval mõtlen nende peale.

Anonymous said...

happy new year pille! :)
i fancy a bowl of porridge after reading that! mmmmm. i was at the wickerman festival during the summer, down in dumfries, and was chuffed to see the Stoat's porridge stand there. it's such a great idea, and reminds everyone there's more to scottish food than haggis and deep-fried black puddings!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the porridge but...somehow...I don't think you had a slimming Xmas so stop messing about and give us the really lush fattening stuff that you and K have been having this past week! x

Steve Piercy said...

Absolutely!! Porridge is great. I meant to thank you a while back for the tip about the Jon Mark and Robbo's whisky company. I picked up a bottle on the way back from Poland last year, and am now hooked on the Smooth Sweeter One. So there... you've taught a Scotsman something about Whisky!

Pille said...

Bea - I really like the idea, too. Who says that fast food needs to be unhealthy!?! Re: travels - I hope to make it back to Scotland later this year, but I'm already scheduled to go skiing in Italian Alps in February. Scary - never done it before!!

Angelika - thank you for your sweet words!

Maarja - sama siin. Eile jõudsin siiski esimest korda tänavu ka sulgpalli mängima, nii et kõige laisem/hullem algus polegi:)

Shauna - Stouts' wonderful indeed. Happy New Year to you, too!

Roxy - cheeky you! I've got plenty of time to slim dowm before you come to visit this spring:) But yes, you're right - we were totally over-indulging this Christmas. As it was our first Xmas together, it's allowed:)

Steve - glad to hear that you like Jon Mark & Robbo's whisky. My favourite is their Smokey Peaty One. Sadly, they're not available here in Estonia, so I'm relying on my friends to bring me some..

Honeybee said...

Mmm, porridge, my favourite breakfast on cold mornings. I just had a bowl today, with some chopped plums, a large dollop of greek yoghurt and a generous spoonfull of my plum and cinnamon jam. Nice...

Mary said...

It's my first time on your site and I'm enjoying everything so far! i just had to comment here, as I love Stoats Oats and visited them often at the Saturday market when I was in Edinburgh. Cranachan was my favourite too, both in oats and desserts.
:)