Monday, January 08, 2007

A tasty salmon spread

A starter from a dinner party some 10 days ago. A smoked salmond spread/pâté that preceded a wonderful boeuf bourguignon and delicious risalamande. On the photo below you can see it being served alongside the first - and rather good - local Estonian blue cheese, Breti Blue, some rocket leaves and crostini.

Can be eaten standing up around the table (read: perfect for cocktail parties and such like).

Smoked salmon spread
Adapted from Rachel Allen's Rachel's Favourite Food for Friends (2005)
Serves 10



100 grams ('cold') smoked salmon
100 grams cream cheese
100 grams sour cream/creme fraiche
about a tablespoonful of lemon juice
couple of spoonfuls of finely chopped dill
freshly ground black pepper
Maldon sea salt

Chop the smoked salmon finely, mix with cream cheese and sour cream. Season with lemon juice, dill, salt & pepper.
Serve.

Easy-peasy, I know.

UPDATE 14.1.2007: "Elust siin ja seal" also made this simple salmon spread and liked it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy peasy always tastes delicious!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to add this to the menu for my husband's 30th birthday party. Thanks!

Here's a super-easy, sweet appetizer I've been making for our Estonian friends. The praise has been unanimous.

Baked Brandied Brie

3/4 cup (85 g) brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup (0.6 dl) brandy
1 large wedge of sealed brie (i.e. no exposed cheese, since this needs to go in the oven)
long French baguette

1. Place brie on a deep oven-proof serving platter. Dump brown
sugar on top of brie and pour the brandy directly over the top
to dissolve the sugar. Cover in plastic and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400*F (205*C). Remove brie from refrigerator and
discard plastic. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sugar begins
to caramelize. Cool slightly and serve on French baguette slices.

Serves 6 to 8.

I've also made this plenty of times without refrigerating for 1-2 hours and it's still very tasty.

Pille said...

K & S - thanks for popping by!

Rae - welcome to my blog (and Estonia:) and thanks for sharing the recipe. Also, best jubileum wishes to your husband!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Pille! I've actually been a closet reader for a while, and strangely enough it was my friend at pesky who told me about nami-nami. I'm glad she did!

Kalyn Denny said...

Just saved it to my del.icio.us cookbook!

Anonymous said...

oh my--i'll have to try this. i'm craving salmon lately...

Pille said...

Rae - my thanks to pesky for telling you about nami-nami:)

Kalyn - thanks! Let me know what you thought about it!

Enthusiastically Human - I'll be making a very special salmon dish this weekend (hopefully), so do check back in a week or so for another salmon recipe:)