Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Komm Morgen wieder: savoury pancake rolls that make you want more

I've always called savoury filled pancakes just 'filled pancakes' (well, or the Estonian equivalent, which is 'täidetud pannkoogid'). Very unimaginative, I know. When I once browsed a bilingual "Eesti Kokaraamat/Estonian Cookbook", published by the American Estonians in 1976, and came across a recipe for filled pancakes called 'Tule homme jälle', or 'Come again tomorrow', I was utterly amused. I was convinced that it was some kind of Americanism and nobody in real life would call pancakes like that. Imagine my surprise then when K. said that 'Come again tomorrow' is how these have always been known in his home, too. I guess the idea is that these pancakes - although incredibly easy to make - are so satisfying and tasty, that you'd want to return for more on the following day.

The recipe is adapted from the above cookbook - I've added some cheese and fresh herbs, and given them a quick moment in the oven. There's not much that isn't improved with addition of some cheese and herbs, don't you think?

Savoury Pancake Rolls
(Täidetud pannkoogid 'Tule homme jälle')
Serves 2




Pancakes:
3 eggs
100 ml plain flour
300 ml milk
a pinch of salt

Filling:
1 Tbsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped
450 grams minced meat
100 ml beef stock
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt, black pepper

Topping:
50 grams greated cheese

Prepare thin crepe-style pancakes (use the recipe above or your favourite crepe recipe, omitting sugar). Whisk eggs until broken, stir in salt and milk, then add the flour. Fry thin crepe-style pancakes (2 per person).

To prepare the filling, saute the onion in oil until golden on a medium heat, then add minced meat and brown. Add the stock and simmer, until the liquid has more or less evaporated again (it makes for a moister filling). Season, add the parsley.

Place a tablespoonful or two of filling at the centre of each pancake, and wrap the edges over the filling, so you end up with a roll (or roll's look-a-like). Place in a oven-proof dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake at 200C oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese has melted.

Serve with a fresh salad and a sprinkling of herbs.

NB! Can be made ahead. Keep in the fridge. Before serving, heat in a 200C oven for about 15 minutes, adding the cheese after 10 minutes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oo jaa, meie peres tuntakse neid senini kui "kommorgenviidereid" (korrektne oleks vist komm morgen wieder). Eriti head on rosina-kohupiimatäidisega.

Pannkoogid ees ja pannkoogid taga. Mul on kuri tunne, et lähemal ajal on karta suuremat küpsetamist. :P

- pidevalt neelatav oravake

Valentina said...

Pille, these pancakes reminded me of my mum's. In Brazil savoury pancakes are very popular and they are often quite thin - at least at my mum's . ;o ) You inspired me.

Gracianne said...

This is very different from the crepes bretonnes I am used to, closer to canelloni in fact. Very interesting, and I love the name!

Anonymous said...

I was pretty surprised to find one of your posts starting with the German words "Komm morgen wieder"! But reading the background story, I can totally relate to it as I love pancakes and crepes in every possible variation. And our friends do, too - they served us an incredible yummy crepe-spinach-cake last weekend, now I'm dying to get my hands on the recipe... ;)

Pille said...

Oravake - vaatasin internetist järgi, tõesti ongi selline pannkoogiroog "komm morgen wieder" olemas:) Olen pimeduses elanud ilmselt;)

Valentina - I think savoury pancakes will be very popular in our household from now on, too :)

Gracianne - crepe bretonnes!? Could you tell me more about these, please? And yes, the name is fun - seems that there is a German name for such a dish 'komm morgen wieder ' and we've just translated it into Estonian.

Nicky - well, it didn't have a German title to start with, but as I learnt this is how these pancakes are (also) known in Estonia & Latvia, I changed the title:) Crepe spinach cake sounds delicious - hope you'll get your hands on the recipe and will blog about it soon!!

Anneli Martin said...

Ma arvasin koguaeg et kyllap oli mu L2ti vanavanaema selle nime v2lja m6elnud. T2itsa nalja p2rast googeldasin ja tuli v2lja et ongi olemas sellise nimega retsept! Aga tema tegi nii et praadis yhelt pool ime6hukese pannkoogi. Keeras taldriku peale kypsemata pool all, liha sisse ja keeras ymbrikuks v6i pakikeseks ja pannile tagasi. Supi k6rvale, no imehead olid.

Anonymous said...

I grew up on these as our Thanksgiving meal. I prefer it to the traditional American Thanksgiving spread. They are alot of work but so much worth it. I found it sacriligious that you've added herbs and cheese. That totally takes away from what the dish is meant to be.

Elle said...

I grew up with Komm Morgen Wieder for Christmas breakfast. My German gandmother made them. Ours are a cheese filled crepe though, served with fruit syrup or sour cream mixed with granulated sugar.

Nic Hartmann said...

Pille, I tried this recipe last night in order to make pankoogid for a church potluck, and they were a huge hit with everyone. Your recipe is the easiest and tastiest one I've seen so far, and brings back good memories of eating pankoogid in Tartu.

Pille said...

Food coma - no näed, said ka targemaks :D

Anonymous - interesting to hear that you've adopted these as your Thanksgiving meal. I thought the turkey & the trimmings was a must?

Elle - quark-filling? Yummy!!

Nico, so thrilled to hear that!!

Unknown said...

Dear Pille,
My mother told me that komm morgen wieder, or 'nac rita atkal' in Latvian meant come back tomorrow because you used up leftovers from the night before. The way she always made it is very similar to yours, but the pancakes are folded into square packets.
If you are interested, here is a link to the Latvian version:
http://www.latvianstuff.com/Comebacktomorrow.html
Thank you for your recipe :o)))
Daina