Friday, June 01, 2007

A happy, if unusual, threesome: asparagus with coconut & lime

I hadn't planned to blog about this asparagus dish until next week, but then a loyal reader of mine tried my coconut & rhubarb pie, liked it, and wanted to try asparagus with coconut & lime, also mentioned in that post. Cannot keep your customers waiting, so here's the recipe. The combination may sound a bit unusual, but asparagus & lime make good friends, so do coconut & lime, and all-in-all this combination worked just well (a happy threesome, so to say). It definitely was a good choice to start a dinner which also consisted of coriander salmon and coconut & rhubarb pie.

Asparagus with coconut & lime
(Sparglid kookospiima ja laimiga)
Adapted from Swedish Arla site
Serves 4 as a starter




400 grams green asparagus
250 ml thick coconut milk
a scant teaspoon of Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon powder
grated peel of 1 lime and 2 tsp of pressed juice
a pinch of salt
coconut flakes

Snap off the woody bits of asparagus stalks, discard. Boil the asparagus in a slightly salted water for about 2 minutes, until cooked, but not soft. Drain and place on warmed plates.
Meanwhile, heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan to very slow simmer (do not boil!), season with bouillon powder, lime juice, half of the grated lime zest, and salt. Spoon over the cooked asparagus and garnish with the rest of the grated zest and some flaked coconut.

Other asparagus dishes @ Nami-nami:
Asparagus with pinenuts, lime and browned butter (May 2007)
Roasted green asparagus with feta cheese (May 2007)
Roasted green asparagus with Parmesan cheese (May 2006)
Wild asparagus with butter / Wild asparagus with pasta & garlic (May 2006)

7 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Very creative! You should ask Rachel of Coconut & Lime if it can be part of her 3rd birthday celebration!

Anonymous said...

Pille, I just made cocoa and raspberry muffins, your Cadbury recipe from a while back. They turned out PERFECT! Me and Stevie are stuffing our faces right now. Well done, girl!

Shaun said...

Pille - I am not a big fan of asparagus, but even I am tempted by this recipe. I like, too, how it precedes other great-sounding dishes, like coriander salmon. What a feast!

Kalyn Denny said...

Unusual, but it sounds quite intriguing. I'm pretty sure I'd love it!

Dolores said...

What Kalyn said. :) I can't wait to try this!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

This is an intriguing combo of flavors that I'd be game to try.

Pille said...

Alanna - I would if I knew how!!

Roxy - good to hear that! I should make them myself soon again, too. K. hasn't tried them yet ;)

Shaun - I was quite happy how the different dishes complemented one another that night.

Kalyn - I've seen all those ingredients on your blog before, just not together :)

Culinary Curious- hope you'll like it!

Susan - unusual, but rather nice!