Monday, November 19, 2007

Apple and Coconut Crisp

My mum sends us a basket full of delicious home-grown non-sprayed apples every week, and I'm therefore constantly looking for new and delicious apple cake, apple pie and apple dessert recipes. Over the years I've baked many, and hence I've got plenty of excellent apple cake and pie recipes in my 'regular' apple repertoir - Quark Cake with Grated Apples, Toffee Apple Cake with Cranberries, a simple Apple Tray Cake, not to mention my famous (Non-)Canadian Apple Cake that I've been baking for two decades. But recently another baked apple dessert found a way to this repertoire and we made it actually twice last week alone. I found the recipe from DanSukker (a Danish sugar producer) website, and only tweaked it a little. It takes almost no time whatsoever to put together, and the dessert needs just under half an hour in the oven, so it's a real quickie. And the fact that we made it twice in a row should indicate that it's also a delicious one :)

Maarja Sloveenias tegi ka seda õuna-kookosevormi juba ja kiitis heaks. Loe lähemalt siit.

Apple and Coconut Crisp
(Õuna-kookosevorm)
Adapted from DanSukker
Serves 6



500 g not-too-sweet apples, (peeled*), cored and quartered
3 eggs
200 ml sugar
100 ml plain/all-purpose flour
250 ml (1 cup) grated coconut (desiccated coconut)
100 g (just under 1 stick) butter, melted (plus extra for greasing)

Beat the eggs with sugar until foamy and pale, about 5 minutes with an electric mixer.
Mix flour, grated coconut and fold into the egg mixture.
Gently stir in the melted and cooled butter.
Layer the apples in a greased 25 cm oven dish, so the bottom would be covered.
Pour the batter over the apples and bake in a preheated 200 C oven for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
Take out of the oven, and cool a little. Serve lukewarm with vanilla ice cream, crème anglaise or lightly whipped cream.

* Peeling is not necessary when using non-sprayed apples from your own orchard or organically grown apples from a reputable source. Simple rinsing will do in those cases.

18 comments:

K and S said...

this dish sounds so comforting :) and you are so lucky to have non-sprayed apples!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Lovely. Twice in one week, that says it all.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Pille, my mum in law sends us apples from her garden too. In the beginning of the season I am always excited but as the weeks go on I never really know what to do with them. This recipe is therefore a welcome change Thanks!

Camille Acey said...

We have many apple trees and now that it is winter we have a few hundred apples down in the vegetable cellar. I am always on the hunt for more recipes, and this looks perfect!

Jeanne said...

Oooh yum! This is the kind of store-cupboard dessert I love - I always have apples and eggs in the house and the rest can wait patiently in my cupboard till I need them to spring into action. Thanks for sharing such a quick and yummy recipe!

Gloria Baker said...

Pille this looks wonderful and so yummy!!! I like apples, thanks for recipe, I think I will apples to December!! xx Gloria

lobstersquad said...

this looks great, but I´ve just fallen in love with the non-canadian cake. I´m going to be away from my kitchen for a few days, and it will bug me, I can tell I´ll be itching to make it all the time.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

How I wish I had a source of non-sprayed apples every week! This cake looks delicious; I will try it.

Annemarie said...

I do really like the sound of this (perhaps because you said it was easy and quick!). A lucky dilemma you have to be swimming in so many apples...

Helene said...

I love all your apple posts! I really like the sound of this one with the coconut. I bet it would be great with some vanilla or caramel ice cream!

Kevin Kossowan said...

Yum.

Anonymous said...

This seems easy to make. What kind of coconut did you use, fresh ones or the dessicated coconut available in the groceries? Thanks.

Nora B. said...

I'm definitely going to try your non-canadian apple cake - the crumb topping looks delicious.

Here is another apple cake recipe. It's Finnish:
http://lifesmorgasbord.blogspot.com/
2007/10/angry-baker.html

It's actually from another blogger called Wendy. It's so moist and moreish. And easy to whip up.

Shaun said...

Pille ~ I have not thought of combining dessicated coconut with apples before now. That you have eaten it twice in one week tells me that I need to bookmark this post, so I can revisit it during next year's Autumn.

MeatballOnline said...

this looks good! i'm going to try this at home!

Helene said...

Just wanted to add that I made it last week using pears and bananas (splash of rum) but with the same topping and it was gone before I could a picture. Sucess!

ScienceMel said...

Apples and coconut... sounds like an interesting combination. I still think my favorite apple recipe is for apple crisp (apples with oat crumble and brown sugar with a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream) as I've now retired the apple pie recipe.

Pille said...

K&S – I am lucky indeed! My mum’s a true greenfinger, and she has been providing us with lots of fruit and berries over the last year – apples, pears, raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants, etc..

Tanna – I think so, too. It’s quick and easy to assemble, and tastes good.

Meeta – it’s nice to have a mother(-in-law) who provides apples, isn’t it :)

Camille Remarkable – hope you’ll like this dessert!

Jeanne – you’re welcome!

Gloria – remember, an apple a day keeps a doctor away :)

Lobstersquad – that Canadian apple cake is a real keeper. I’m warning you, you know :)

Lydia – I missed my mum’s apples while in Scotland. Seemed so outrageous to pay for apples in the first place. Luckily I was able to buy delicious apples from Edinburgh Farmers Market!

Annemarie – yes, it’s a good dilemma to have: what to do with all those lovely apples..

Kevin Kossowan – yum indeed!

A scientist in the kitchen – I used desiccated coconut in this dessert (non-sweetened and non-toasted one).

Nora – I know Wendy’s blog! She used to live in Finland, so her apple cake recipes are similar to Estonian ones :)

Shaun - it was the first time to combine apples with coconut for me, too (though I’ve used coconut milk instead of regular milk once before, simply because I ran out of dairy milk). I agree – you do need to bookmark this recipe :)

Meatball online – let me know how you liked it, if you do manage to try this at home!

Tartelette – vanilla ice cream would be wonderful! And it's great to know the topping would work with pears, too! (I was actually thinking of adding rum myself at one point, but then didn't. You're much naughtier than I am :)

ScienceMel - well, apples work equally well with oat crisp and with coconut crisp!!