Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lovescool's Lovely Matcha Cookies



This is a story of a price-winning and very popular recipe. Lovescool's Kelli came up with a recipe for Green Tea Shortcakes, which won a Golden Scoop Award earlier this year. Then Fanny made them in France. Edith in Singapore. And then Mae and Inne in England. And Maddy in the sunny Los Angeles, and Lisa in sunny Sydney. Valentina on far-away Mauritius enjoyed them. Veronica made them. Carlos in Spain made them. Maribel liked them, and Mandy liked them. And now they've been made in Estonia by yours truly. I changed the recipe ever so slightly, using fine caster sugar instead of confectioner's sugar (I simply didn't feel like powdering my own at the moment, especially as the sugar I had was very fine indeed). I also listened to Mae's advice and reduced the temperature a little to make sure my cookies wouldn't brown too quickly. Here's my version - check out Kelli's post for the beautiful original recipe.

These are really lovely with a cup of green tea - sweet, with a hint of bitterness from matcha. Crisp and delicate. Elegant and beautiful.

Matcha Cookies
(Matcha küpsised)
Makes about 4 dozens



150 g fine caster sugar
1 Tbsp matcha (Japanese green tea) powder
140 g butter
185 g all-purpose flour
3 large egg yolks

Mix caster sugar and matcha powder in a bowl.
Cut butter into cubes, place into the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer. Add sugar and matcha mixture. Using the paddle attachment, cream until the mixture is crumbly.
Add flour, mix quickly. Add eggs one by one, mixing briefly after each addition.
Press the moist crumbs into a ball, cover with a clingfilm and place into a fridge to cool for about 15 minutes.
On a slightly floured surface, roll the pastry into 5 mm thickness, using your rolling pin. Use a cookie cutter to cut out various shapes.
(It's easiest to work with a smaller piece of pastry at the time, keeping the rest in the fridge).
Place the cookies into a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake at 165 C until the cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Take the cookies out, transfer with the parchment paper onto a metal rack to cool. The cookies will harden and crispen as they cool.

Other Matcha recipes on Nami-nami:
Matcha and Dark Chocolate Truffles (November 2006)
Green Matcha Loaf (February 2007)
And a photo of Mont Fuji cake in Mariage Frères in Paris.

NB! Matcha-pulbrit saab Tallinnas osta Piprapoest (Liivalaia 43), kus 30grammine pakk maksab 135 EEK.

26 comments:

Evelin said...

nii armsad!:)

Kalyn Denny said...

Love the puzzle-shaped cookies!

Mariajaan said...

Dear Pille. Would you let me know where to find matcha powder in Tallinn? They must be delicious. I have had a taste of matcha ice cream from a Korean restaurant in Washington DC and nothing MATC-es it! Thank you!!!!! The link to Carlos is also good. Bye now!

Nora B. said...

Such a famous recipe! I feel like I am missing out ;-)

I like the puzzle cookie cutter you used!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Puzzle cookie cutter! How Marvelous!
And the cookies are awesome!!

Annemarie said...

I've been following the trail of the match cookies, too, but you've reminded me I haven't yet tried my hand at it. I do love the cookie cutters.

Anh said...

Great intepretation of the recipe, nami!

Brilynn said...

I've had these on my "to make" list for ages too, they keep drawing me in!

Inne said...

Ah, another convert! Aren't they just the best cookies ever? Love the little puzzle shapes.

Suzana Parreira said...

I've discovered matcha not a long time ago and became very curious about this 'magic' powder.

Your cookies look great! Maybe I should make these cookies as well since I'm in Portugal and no one has done it so far. ;)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Those puzzle shaped cookies look so cool. Nice one!

Anne said...

I agree with everyone else - the puzzle shapes are so cute!

Jeanne said...

Oh wow - those green puzzle piece cookies are the best! I always end up overbrowning my shortbread but yours look totally perfect :)

Anonymous said...

This looks easy to make and perfect timing for a pack of macha powder I got from Japan. And the puzzle cookies are cute!

Helene said...

I nedd to make them soon, especially since my box of Mariage Freres tea is going empty as it would be perfect with it. Love the puzzle shapes!

Andreea said...

oh this is wonderful. i have a little matcha box and need to use it fast :)

Anonymous said...

I think I am next to try them! I love your play with their shape.

ScienceMel said...

Funny what sweeties travel the globe.

lobstersquad said...

sounds great. don´t know what matcha is, but I´m sure it´s delicious.

Anonymous said...

salulaidsolarte - can you share the name of the Washington DC restaurant where you had the matcha ice cream? I adore green tea ice cream and I am in DC. I want to go to this restaurant!

Thank you so much for the recipe Pille. I am planning what cookies to make for a Christmas cookie exchange and these look like just the thing.

Anonymous said...

yehey, you made them! Don't you just love them with tea. I find that the flavors develop better after a day or two.

Mariajaan said...

Hello dear Anonymous! The Korean restaurant is actually located in Va. Close to Crystal city, but I can`t remember the name or even the shopping center close by. Can it possibly be Pentagon City Mall? There is a big Costco, a Marshalls, and in the very shopping center there is a metro stop, there where M.A.C.Y.S is located. Maybe you can already guess the location, just across the river if going by metro. The Restaurant is very, very famous and good and it is standing (or was) alone there in the back of the shopping center. You would not miss it if driving around or even asking in the area. The food is also excellent! Good luck with this chaotic set of directions!!

Mandy said...

I share the same sentiment with the rest commentors. The puzzle cookie cutters are just so cute. I have to hunt them down. :)

Pille said...

Evelin – aitäh!

Kalyn – I think I spotted puzzle-shaped cookies first at Chocolate & Zucchini blog, so when I saw them at a local department store, I grabbed them right away :)

Salulaid Solarte – try Piprapood near Stockman department store!

Nora B – well, give it a go then :)

Tanna – indeed – the cookie cutters are fun. They’re a great addition to my feet-shaped cookie cutters :)

Annemarie – these matcha cookies have been to places, haven’t they :)

Brilynn – well, not surprising, considering that these are award-winning cookies!

Suzana – and you could introduce the whole of Portugal to matcha cookies then :)

Jeanne – I took great care not to overbrown these cookies – I didn’t want to lose the beautiful green shade!

Tartelette – I’ve had tea at Mariage Frères, but didn’t buy any to take home. Silly us!!

Bea – I’m looking forward to seeing your take – and wonderful food styling – with these cookies!

ScienceMel – funny indeed :)

Lobstersquad – matcha is ground Japanese green tea, which has a beautiful colour and a slightly bitter flavour. Excellent (and expensive!)

Anon. – I’m sure these would make a great addition to the Christmas cookie exchange!

Veron – thanks for the tip. Sadly, I had none left for the day after!!

Mandy – well, I got them from a local department store, Stockman, but that won’t help you much :)

Anh, Inne, Meeta, Anne, A Scientist in the Kitchen, Andreea – thank you!

Dr.Gray said...

This recipe looks interesting I have never cooked with green tea. How does the powder work? Is it just like a spice? I was thinking about getting something like this, does this work - baking matcha?

Anonymous said...

I have joined the Matcha band wagon. Here are my efforts - not as charming as yours though!
http://hihikat.wordpress.com/