Monday, August 04, 2008

Beetroot and Potato Salad Recipe



I love those Estonian birthday salads - the classic potato salad (a version of what's known as "Russian salad" or "Salad Olivier" elsewhere) and rosolye. But for everyday simple salads these are too time-consuming - cutting the numerous ingredients into uniform tiny cubes takes time and patience, and sometimes I don't have that. That's when the more humble and quicker versions come handy. Here's a quick salad recipe that either makes a light lunch on its own, or a more substantial meal alongside grilled meat or meatballs, for example. I also love this salad on a thick slice of sour rye bread..

Beetroot and Potato Salad
(Peedi-kartulisalat)
Serves 4

2 boiled beetroots, peeled
6 boiled potatoes, peeled
1 large salad onion
salt
sour cream
fresh chives, finely chopped

Peel the beets and potatoes and either chop into small cubes or grate coarsely.
Finely mince the onion.
Mix beets, potatoes and onions in a bowl. Add enough sour cream to bind everything together. Season with salt.
Let the flavours develop for 30 minutes in a refridgerator.
Sprinkle plenty of chopped chives on top before serving.

13 comments:

Veronika said...

Ainuüksi selle pildi vaatamisest tekkis kohe suur isu mõne peedisalati järele... :)))

Jeanne said...

Mmm, I do love a good Russian salad... but I do hear you that it may be just too much work when you're feeling lazy. I love the colour of this salad, even if I'm not too find of beetroot.

ChichaJo said...

My grandma makes a lovely "russian salad" like this that we all love :)

Chef Jeena said...

This is a tasty potato salad I love the combination of ingredients.

Anonymous said...

I love beets and never thought to put them in a potato salad. Yummy! I can't wait to make this!

Archana Doshi said...

Lovely... so appetizing and wholesome with that rye bread. This would be a perfect salad for the ONE DISH MEAL- Salad event I am hosting. I like to invite you to participate in the event and send this recipe or any other salad you think fits the rules. The rules are in my website. Thank you

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I think I'll bake the beets, though, as they're much sweeter and fragrant that way than when boiled. Takes longer, but worth it!

Valentina said...

Oh, this salad is absolutely stunning. Fabulous colours!! I am most certainly going to try it.If anything to have a beautiful salad to look at.

Anonymous said...

This is really lovely, and I bet my brother-in-law (who lives in Dresden and whom I introduced to your site) has already tried it! I recently made something similar - patatas alioli, but half-and-half beets and potatoes. (I microwaved the beets because it was very hot this weekend in Chicago.) Please keep writing about and photographing food - your blog is great!

Bharti said...

This looks delicious..I might make this today.

Pille said...

T&V - see on ju tore :)

Jeanne- one day beetroot and you will discover each other, I hope :)

ChichaJo - that's interesting to read that the 'Russian Salad' has travelled so far!

Jeena, Valentina, Anon., Bharti - thank you!

Reeni - oh, do try them!

Archana - sorry I missed your event. The pregnancy was all I could think about last summer :)

Stefanie - roasting the beets gives them such a wonderful flavour indeed.

Karel said...

You mentioned that making the salad is very time consuming...

Here's the solution that I use myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IewEaOUXdH0

My one is a bit bigger, not the "mini" dicer, but you'll get the picture. Google it to buy one yourself.

Mare Britton Tiido said...

I will make this. I might try adding a bit of dijon mustard too.