Sunday, August 03, 2008

Apricot Clafoutis, with an Estonian twist



Last weekend we managed to buy some really beautiful French apricots at the market. We made a batch of David's Fresh Apricot Ice Cream, and K. made couple of jars of his delicious apricot jam. We still had plenty of apricots left, however, so I decided to make an apricot clafoutis.

Well, it's not a traditional French clafoutis. But it looks similar enough, and the idea is very similar, too. Sprinkle some soft fruit in a buttered dish, pour the batter over and bake. The 'Estonian twist' here is the addition of our much-loved 'kohupiim' or curd cheese (sold as 'farmer's cheese' in the US). It gives the batter some body and a nice tangy flavour. You can use ricotta instead, but add an tablespoon or two of sour cream then as well.

Apricot 'clafoutis' with farmer's cheese
(Kohupiima-aprikoosivorm)
Serves 6



250 g fine curd cheese/farmer's cheese or ricotta
2 large eggs
200 g sour cream
3 Tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
a cup of sliced fresh apricots
cinnamon, for dusting
butter for the dish

Wash and drain the apricots, then halve, remove the stones and cut each apricot halve into three slices.
Butter a medium-sized oven dish, scatter apricots in the dish.
Mix farmer's cheese, eggs, sour cream, sugar, vanilla sugar and flour in a bowl, until you've got a uniform batter. Pour over the apricots (or pour the batter in first and then scatter the apricot slices on top - it's up to you).
Dust with some cinnamon and extra sugar, if you wish.
Bake at 180 Centigrade for 45-50 minutes, until the dish is cooked through and it's golden on top.
Serve warm or cool before serving.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The texture of traditional clafouti has always been slightly unappealing to me (a rarity, I'm no picky eater) so I like the idea of adding some substance with farmers cheese. I've been buying it ever since you were here.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Pille I really enjoy clafoutis. They are the simplest desserts to make. I am intrigued by the addition of sour cream here and can really imagine the wonderful flavor. I am wondering if quark, what we get in Germany would also work?

K and S said...

sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Looks perfectly delicious!

Paz

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've always been a fan of clafoutis because it's easy to make but looks dramatic and beautiful when baked. I don't often see fresh apricots at the farmstands here, but I need to get in the habit of buying them when I do find them. Will be nice to try this recipe, as I love farmer cheese, too.

Jeanne said...

I *love* clafoutis, and the clafoutis I make most often is apricot clafoutis :) I've also made it with tinned apricot halves in the dead of winter which is different but just as delicious. Yours looks beautiful, especially with the berries

Dagmar said...

Oh, it looks and sounds delicious. I love using curd in cooking!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

Looks yummy. I like the different texture of this clafouti. Different from the traditional.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pille, I have never tried a clafoutis, but I like your version - apricots are so delicious!

mari said...

Pille, I LOVE apricots. I could eat them until they came out of my ears. So I'm bookmarking this recipe and will give it a try, once the heat comes down a little and it's bearable to be in our kitchen again.

By the way, thank you for your nice comments about my cookies when I guest blogged chez Paz. I am SO jealous that you have met her. Is she just as sweet in person? I imagine so. Best, m

Anonymous said...

It looks so delicious,It made me angry.
I love it.I'll make it soon.
Thanks!