Friday, August 08, 2008

Tomato and Goat Cheese Tart with Thyme Recipe



I'm not even trying to pretend that this is my recipe. It's Delia's, of course. I've only very, very slightly played around with the amounts and place my tomatoes differently on the pie - just because I think it looks nicer my way :) In any case, it's a beautiful recipe for showcasing all those lovely, ripe, juicy local tomatoes that abound at the moment. Highly recommended!

Roasted Tomato and Goat's Cheese Tart with Thyme
(Tomati-kitsejuustupirukas)
Serves six to eight

500 grams puff pastry, rolled
150 g soft and creamy goat cheese
4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
500 g ripe plum tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
Maldon sea salt

Roll out the puff pastry to 30x40 cm rectangle and place on a slightly oiled baking sheet. Carefully score a line about 1 cm from the edge along the pastry, but do not cut through! This will help the filling to stay inside the pastry and the edges to puff up nicely.

Mix the goat cheese, minced garlic, thyme leaves, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the mixture evenly on the puff pastry sheet (remaining inside the scored line).

Cut the tomatoes into 3-5 mm slices and place nicely next to each other on top of the goat cheese. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and drizzle some olive oil on top.

Bake at a pre-heated 180 Centigrade oven for 45-50 minutes, until the pasty is golden and tomatoes have dried up a little.

Before serving, scatter some more thyme leaves on top. Cut into squares and serve.

14 comments:

Karolina Beaudet said...

Tomatoes and goat cheese is such a wonderful combination of flavors. I really love your picture, the tart looks absolutely delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Delia's or yours, it's beautiful!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

No matter whose recipe it is, may I just have a piece? Preferably a corner.

Kalyn Denny said...

Wow! I am properly impressed!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I really am craving a piece of that pie! I've madea pie with feta and tomatoes, but definitely going to try this goat cheese version next time!

Andrew said...

beautiful recipe and beautiful photo too; I love such tarts and have mentioned a couple of similar ones on spittoon extra; yours has the better photo mind.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

That's such a beautiful tomato tart -- love how the tomatoes are lined up. I just bought some soft goat cheese with garlic and chives from a local farm -- would be perfect with this recipe.

emma said...

This looks delicious! I fully approve of the beautiful fresh tomatoes!
Your photos are always gorgeous and enticing!

Jeanne said...

What a stunning photo! Love the vivid colours and can just imagine the taste...

Sandy Smith said...

This is so pretty and fresh-looking! What a delicious combination of flavors and textures, with creamy goat cheese, tangy-sweet tomatoes, and flaky pastry. How I wish this were in my oven right this minute!!

Anonymous said...

That looks great! I think I may have to try it :)

skoraq cooks said...

oh so yummy.... Such a perfect combination of tomatoes and goat cheese :-)

Anonymous said...

This recipe look so great I tried it here in New Mexico. I used Old Windmill Dairy Chevre that was blended with Thyme, Sage and Garlic. It was delicious. Check out their site at http://www.theoldwindmilldairy.com

Pille said...

Susan - I like corners too :)

Andrew - that's very kind of you to say so about my photo..

Lydia - I agree - a garlicky goat cheese would work brilliantly here!!

Haley - thanks! Did you get my email?

Anon. - that goat cheese sounds too good to be true :)

Karolcia, Ann, Kalyn, Hanna, Emma, Jeanne, Sandy, Jo, Bob -thank you!