Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pumpkin and Apple Crumble Recipe



My pumpkin and apple supplies don't seem to end any time soon, so I'm still trying out various recipes and cooking numerous dishes using those two autumn ingredients.

Here's a lovely autumn dessert. The idea for the filling is from an Estonian food magazine, but the crumble topping is my old favourite. We ate this with some soft vanilla ice cream, but custard or whipped cream or even crème fraîche would work well, too.

Pumpkin and Apple Crumble
(Kõrvitsa-õunakrõbedik)

2 Tbsp butter
100 ml caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon*
100 ml seedless raisins (I prefer light ones)
500 g pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into small cubes (weight after peeling)
500 g tart apples, cut into sixth or eight (weight after cleaning)

Crumble topping:
100 ml plain flour
200 ml old-fashioned rolled oats
100 ml brown (demerara) sugar
100 g cold butter

* Feel free to use mixed spice (in the UK) or pumpkin pie mix (in the US) instead.

Note that a cup is 240 ml, so 100 ml is just about half a cup minus 1 heaped Tbsp, and 200 ml is about one cup minus 2 heaped Tbsp.

Mix butter, sugar, cinnamon, raisins and cubed apples and pumpkin. Heat, stirring regularly, on a low heat for about 15 minutes, until pumpkin cubes are softened.

Mix flour, oats and brown sugar in a bowl, then add the cold butter and cut with a knife until you've got a rough-textured crumble.

Spread the apple-pumpkin mix into a buttered oven-proof dish, sprinkle with crumble topping.

Bake in a pre-heated 200 C/400 F oven for about 30 minutes, until the crumble topping is golden brown and crispy.

Cool a little, then serve with your favourite crumble accompaniment (ice cream, whipped cream, custard, crème fraîche).

9 comments:

Susan Voisin said...

This looks so good! I came very close to putting a crumb topping on the apple-pumpkin dessert I made recently, and your recipe makes me wish I had.

Jeanne said...

Now that's a combo I would not have thought of, but thinking about it, it makes sense as both pumkin and apple have an affinity for the same spices. And everything is better with a crumbly topping ;-)

Y said...

What a great way to use pumpkin!

~~Heidi~~ said...

This looks absolutely yummy but...I'm an old lady and I don't do the mlg. cnt's and all those other kinds of foreign measurements. So where do I go to convert the measurements for this dessert?
Thanks for your help, sorry I'm so in the past!

Pille said...

SusanV - and I, on the other hand, must try your dessert :)

Jeanne - my point exactly - and the textures worked well together, too :)

Y - thank you!

Heidi - I've already given instructions for substituting millilitres with cups in the recipe (a cup is approximately 250 ml). And a pound is 450 grams, so just take a pound of apples and a pound of pumpkin :)

Most recipes here in Europe are either in millilitres or decilitres, and being a European, it only makes sense to use these measurements.

Kalyn Denny said...

See what you've started. Now I've made one with all apples, just as good as this one too! (Thanks again, although once Thanksgiving is over I've got to get back off the desserts!)

Pille said...

Sorry, dear Kalyn :)

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Pille,
Just a quick note to let you know, I too found this recipe quite intriguing so, I included your link in a recent post I did for National Pumpkin Day.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Yazmin said...

This was soooo good. Made it with squash. (Had bagged cubed squash on hand). Plan on making it again soon.