Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Caramelized Rye Bread Ice Cream (Condensed Milk Ice Cream)

Bread ice cream / Riivleivajäätis

Here's a super-simple ice cream with an Estonian twist. The caramelized rye bread lends a lovely slightly gritty texture (and I mean it in a wholly positive way) to the otherwise super-creamy ice cream, as well as a slightly earthy-tangy flavour.

The recipe works both with ice cream machine and without one - I've given instructions for both ways. Most importantly, there's no tricky custard-making bit, as the ice cream uses condensed milk as its base (that also means there's no danger of curdling :))

Here in Estonia, I simply buy a bag of ready-grated rye bread and caramelize it with some sugar. You can obviously use stale rye bread (preferably naturally leavened type), and grind it yourself. Or perhaps even try with those rye crisp breads (knäckerbröd) that are pretty universally available, smashing them into fine powder before proceeding.

K. isn't a great fan of ice cream, but he asked for this one after every single meal we had last weekend :)

Rye Bread Condensed Milk Ice Cream
(Riivleivajäätis)
Serves 8 to 10

Bread ice cream / Riivleivajäätis

400 g tin sweetened condensed milk
600 ml whipping cream* (35% fat content)
100 g grated rye bread
2 Tbsp caster sugar

First, fry the grated bread and some sugar on a dry hot pan for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until caramelized. Remove from the heat and cool completely.

If using an ice cream machine: pour the condensed milk and cream into a measuring jug and stir thoroughly. (* You can use half whipping/double cream and half single cream, when churning the ice cream in a machine). Pour into your ice cream maker and churn into ice cream according to the instructions. When almost done, fold in the cool caramelized rye bread, stir thoroughly. Pour the ice cream into freezer-proof container and place into the freezer for an hour or two before serving.

If you're not using an ice cream machine: whip the cream until soft peaks form. Pour in the condensed milk and whisk for another minute or two, until thoroughly combined. Fold in the caramelized rye bread mixture. Pour into freezer-proof container and place into the freezer for about 4-6 hours, until the mixture is frozen. As you're using whipped cream, there's no need to stir the ice cream during the freezing process.

15 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Wow....looks very delicious! Love the condensed milk in it.....yum

Albert Lázaro-Tinaut said...

Tere Pille!
You have a very interesting blog.
I love sweets...
Best regards from Barcelona.

Heidi Park said...

Caramelized rye in ice cream is something I have not seen before. If this were on a restaurant menu, I would order this. Pics look good too.

natural selection said...

Healthy and refreshing at the same time excellent recipe! Why don't you call it "Estonian Twist"?

Tricia said...

I'm definitely going to try this... but even before I do I know it will be delicious -- because it sounds so much like the Grape-Nuts ice cream I grew up with in New England!

Kat said...

wow, ma olen sõnatu. see tundub SUPER! kindlasti proovin.

Maija Haavisto said...

Sounds interesting. We have a hazelnut ryebread yoghurt in Finland, which is actually pretty good, the favorite yoghurt of many people (including some foreigners I know who've bought it without knowing what it is).

I also like eating mämmi with ice cream (mämmi being a Finnish Easter dessert made of rye flour and malt).

Nickoval said...

What a coincidence, that I made ice cream using vahukoor and condensed milk that I bought at Stockmann today!

rachel j. k. grace said...

I had the great pleasure of tasting this ice cream last night at Pille's... it was incredible!

Gurme Durmaz Arar! said...

i am a big fan of your blog, and this one i will try immediately, i am an ice cream fan as well:)
but we haven't got condensed milk in turkey, what else can i use???
love
pelin

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

What a lovely simple ice cream! It sounds rather like the old-fashioned brown bread ice cream favoured by the Victorians, but I imagine the rye adds a lovely extra nuttiness, especially when caramelised like this.

Around the world in 80 markets said...

I can almost taste the different and contrasting flavours - thank you!:) I'd imagine adding nuts, eg walnuts, to the mix would add that bit of bitterness, could be interesting too.

Victorian brown bread ice-cream?!

Leslie said...

wow, that's so interesting and exotic! I must try it!

Egle said...

oh my, I'm definitely into this dessert! So simple yet so delicious. Gonna make this a thousand times. Again an again. it is sooo gooood :)

Anna said...

I tried this ice-cream yesterday, just supplemented it with slightly roasted pine nuts. It was sooooo fantastic, that I had to hide it from my husband as he was ready to eat it all, not leaving anything for my mum's birthday party today :D Thank you for this wonderful and super easy recipe!