Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Quail Eggs with Smoked Paprika (Pimentón de la Vera)

Quail eggs with Pimentón / Vutimunad suitsupaprikaga

I love quail eggs in all their disguises - whole quail eggs served with Egyptian dukkah-dip, as a component in a "mushroom canapé", as topping on an Estonian wild mushroom crostini, Swedish-inspired quail egg topped with whitefish roe, as a filling inside salmon kulebyaka, or as a garnish on top of Estonian seven-layer salad or smoked salmon and spinach salad.

Here's a neat idea for a tasty morsel from Jill Dupleix - boiled quail eggs are dipped in smoked paprika powder, Pimentón de la Vera, and then sprinkled with Maldon sea salt flakes.

(Vutimunad suitsupaprikaga)

4 comments:

RamblingTart said...

I've never had quail eggs, but I love how pretty they look with their little paprika caps. :-)

Kalyn Denny said...

I've never seen quail eggs here, but some day I must try them!

Pille said...

Rambling Tart - quail eggs are cute, aren't they :)

Kalyn - when I was in the US in summer 2008, I saw quail eggs only once and that was at Dean & De Luca in New York :O They cost a fortune as well!
Luckily they're available pretty much everywhere here and at a reasonable price as well!

Lisa said...

These are so cute! I'm searching because I just picked up quail eggs at our farmer's market this week. I expect to see more of them but have been looking for smoked paprika for some time, and still can't find it. Sooner or later all will come together at the same time. Meanwhile those darling little eggs have me thinking.