Thursday, May 20, 2010

Estonian Eurovision Party

Yes. I've got a whopping three email requests during the last week from people across the world who have accepted a task to provide some Estonian food for the Eurovision party this weekend. Instead of writing individual responses to all three of them, I've decided to suggest some dishes in a blog post. So here's a selection of Estonian appetizers and fingerfood that would be easy to recreate elsewhere in the world, as well as couple of salads.

Devilled eggs, Estonian style:


Small ham rolls with garlicky cheese filling (finely grated cheese, crushed garlic, some mayonnaise to bind). You could cut them diagonally into half, if you wish:
Ham rolls stuffed with cheese / Singirullid

Pork liver paté canapés (form shop-bought pork paté into small balls and then roll them in grated cheese):
Pasteedipallid

Estonian soda bread:


Oven-baked chips with caraway:


Estonian oatcakes:


You could always make a large bowl of potato salad (sorry, I haven't blogged about it, but it's not so different from what's known as "Russian salad" in many parts of the world. Here's an excellent photo of the salad by a brilliant Estonian food blogger, Mari-Liis). But you could make one of these two salads:

a layered beetroot salad:


beetroot and potato salad:


For more recipe ideas, either browse the Cuisine: Estonian category or check out the Estonian Food photo pool over @ Flickr.

Have fun this weekend!

8 comments:

Meeta K. Wolff said...

hahah! i loe it. i am getting hyped up about the eurovision too. germany'S got a pretty hot song! this is a great line up pille!

RamblingTart said...

Ohhhh, what a gorgeous selection of delicious things! I know nothing of Estonian food and am so delighted when one of your recipes pops up in my reader. :-) You've opened up a whole new cuisine to me. :-)

Magdalena said...

It is nice of you to put all those Estonian ideas into one post; especially eggs and beats look so familiar! Have a good day :)

p.s. a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself to put on my blog a link to converter which I saw on you blog. I hope that you do not mind, but I was searching for a such, and I think that the converter that you linked is OK!

Gloria Baker said...

All these look awesome and yummy! gloria

Pene said...

It is a pity that Estonia didn't get selected for the Final event. Too many countries competing now. Enjoy the weekend.

thepassionatecook said...

you know, i swore last year i would never watch it again and almost faltered... but now i have to pick up carolin from the airport tomorrow night, so i definitely won't be watching it. i don't think i'll miss much, but I'd come for your gorgeous food!

Unknown said...

Love the bright colors of the Estonian salad~! Looks really palatable.

Limos said...

Always like Estonian Salad.I am Russian and I tried Estonian food 15 years ago.I like this post and will continue to follow