Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Rhubarb ripple cheesecake

Rhubarb ripple cheesecake / Siiruviiruline rabarbri-toorjuustukoook

I've been playing with the idea of a rhubarb cheesecake for a few years now, and finally settled for this simple rhubarb ripple cheesecake (or should I call it "Marbled rhubarb cheesecake"?). I use the base from my lingonberry cheesecake (but feel free to use the regular Digestive-base), the filling from my Manhattan cheesecake and a simple addition of poached rhubarb (with some candied ginger added for a zing). We loved it. The creamy simple cheese filling, the tart rhubarb and moreish base work together like a dream..

Rhubarb ripple cheesecake
(Siiruviiruline rabarbri-toorjuustukook)
Serves 8

Poached rhubarb - what a colour!!! / Keedetud rabarber
Beautiful poached rhubarb

Base:
100 g unsalted butter, softened
85 g caster sugar (about 100 ml)
1 large egg
180 g plain flour (300 ml)
0.5 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt

Poached rhubarb:
250 to 300 g slender pink rhubarb stalks
2 Tbsp demerara sugar
3 Tbsp candied ginger pieces

Cream cheese topping:
600 g full-fat cream cheese, softened
125 g caster sugar (150 ml)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla sugar or extract

First, poach the rhubarb. Wash the rhubarb stalks and cut into 1 cm chunks (I never peel the young rhubarb stalks, as the colour is mostly in the skin). Place into a small saucepan with sugar and 2 Tbsp of water. Simmer on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until rhubarb is completely soft. Stir in the candied ginger and put aside.

For the base, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, thoroughly beating each time. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Press the mixture onto the base and sides of a 26 cm springform tin lined with parchment paper. Place into the fridge to wait while you prepare the cheesecake mixture.

For the cheesecake topping, mix all ingredients thoroughly (you may use a whisk for a fluffier result).

To assemble the cake, pour the cream cheese mixture over the cake base. Spoon the rhubarb mixture here and there over the top, then use a knife to stir the rhubarb mixture into the cheese mixture, to get a marbled effect.

Bake in a preheated 180 C oven for 40-45 minutes, until the filling is set and the cake base cooked.

Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.

12 comments:

Nicole @ Arctic Garden Studio said...

What a great idea. I'm always looking for new ways to use Rhubarb. Never thought of this. Thanks for the idea and the recipe. It looks great.

Cooking in Mexico said...

No rhubarb in Mexico. :(
I'll have to use mango instead. :)

Carolyn said...

Yum. I've been thinking about a strawberry-rhubarb cheesecake... guess it's rhubarb season!

aniitram said...

Ohh, kui mõnus see tundub. Peab kindlasti proovima! :)

Roxy said...

I think I'm already a rhubarb convert!

cheesecake recipes said...

First, that cheesecake looks amazing! Literally mouthwatering. I will definitely try this one. If only I have all the ingredients now, I'll whip it up this very second, lol! But I guess I'll wait until tomorrow. (I have to remind myself to stick to schedules.) Tomorrow is grocery day, so I have to make sure that I'll have everything I'll be needing for this cheesecake recipe.
Oh and thanks for sharing this one!

discount cookware said...

Thanks for telling the ingredients and the recipe of this dish i will really try to make it and eat. I think if the dish is looking so delicious hoe will it taste.

thepassionatecook said...

yum, this looks delicious! i have recently for the first time ROASTED my rhubarb to very good effect, too... and it would works brilliantly in this recipe, i think! definitely making this on the weekend!

Deadly Vanilla Sunshine said...

oh my gosh, this looks amazing! i can't wait until i get the chance to put this new spin on my old cheesecake recipe :)

Elizabeth said...

This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Pille said...

Nicole - you're most welcome!

Cooking in Mexico - mango will work in a cheesecake, of course. But it won't be this same ;(

Carolyn - rhubarb season indeed!

Aniitram - palun proovi :)

Roxy - didn't take long, did it :D

CHeesecake - you're welcome, I guess..

Johanna - roasted rhubarb would work well, too!

Deadly Vanilla Sunshine -what a gorgeous blogger ID :)

Elizabeth - you're most welcome..

Katrina @ The Gastronomical Me said...

Hi Pille

I've now tried this recipe a few times, with different fillings, but I'm always struggling with the base.

It takes me good 20-30 mins to press it against the tin. As it's so soft, it's so difficult to handle, especially the borders. The consistency is like plasticine right?