Saturday, July 10, 2010

Koldskål aka Danish buttermilk soup

Danish buttermilk soup / Koldskål / Petisupp maasikatega

We're in the middle of a heatwave here in Estonia, and there's no end in sight. On the contrary, the weather forecast announces that the temperatures will soar even higher during the next few days. I'm not a hot weather person, and the heat has seriously affected my enthusiasm and ability to cook and stand by the stove. We've been eating sandwiches, tabbouleh, lots of hummus, and sugarsnap peas, carrots and radishes from our own garden. And this Danish dessert, koldskål.

The traditional koldskål starts with an eggnog base that's topped with buttermilk, but modern versions often substitute raw egg yolks with thick yogurt. That's what I've done here as well. The traditional topping is kammerjunkere, but you can crumble some cantucci biscuits on top or use granola or müsli. I love the cardamom-scented "skorpor" you'll find at your nearest IKEA (those are the ones I've used here). Most of the recipes I've seen use lemon juice or vanilla extract for seasoning. I opted for elderflower cordial, as I've got fond memories of my host mum Kirsten using elderflower cordial to season lots of different desserts during my summer in Denmark back in 1993. I LOVE the floral notes elderflower cordial adds, and I think my host mum would approve :)

Danish buttermilk soup / Koldskål / Petisupp maasikatega

A great dessert to enjoy during those hot summer days. (There aren't many blog posts about koldskål, but you can check out Gitte's recent post. My favourite Danish foodblogger Zarah Maria, has only briefly mentioned this wonderful dessert).

Danish buttermilk soup
(Külm petisupp marjade ja kuivikutega)
Serves four

Danish buttermilk soup / Koldskål / Petisupp maasikatega

200 g thick yogurt or creme fraiche
4 Tbsp sugar
750 ml (3 cups) buttermilk
2 to 3 Tbsp elderflower cordial or lemon juice

To serve:
strawberries, raspberries or other soft fruit
crispy biscuits or 'skorpor'
couple of fresh mint or lemonbalm leaves

Combine sugar and yogurt in a bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in the cordial and buttermilk, whisk until combined. If necessary, place to the fridge to cool.
To serve, divide the koldskål into bowls, top with some biscuits and lots of strawberries. Garnish with mint or lemonbalm leaves and serve.
D

8 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Very interesting! Never seen this type of soup before.

Magdalena said...

we are in the middle of "canicules" here, too. I live on the last floor, just under the roof, and we are baking ourselves here 24 hours per day. But after 5 weeks of rains and the cold weather, I do not complain - I enjoy that heat although normally, I do not like high temperatures....
The soup is interesting - we like in Poland those kind of preparation. I even have 1 l of fresh buttermilk in my fridge (who does not have it in this country), some strawberries too, and still a bit of fresh mint...biscuits are somewhere here, too.

Sensitive Bore said...

It looks delicious! I'm sure it also tastes delicious.

Janine said...

Texas is hot too. For dinner these days I am graving simple kefir mixed with fresh dill and some cucumber, salt and pepper. You could add more herbs and potentially garlic.

Giovanna said...

I'll have to try this soon with elderflower--when I lived in Denmark, we always had the traditional egg/lemon type. Every year I wait for those too hot days, and we have it for supper. Here's a post and recipe from my blog.

kelesney said...

thanks for the sweet reminder of my danish childhood. love...koldskål!

Gitte said...

Love the addition of strawberries to your Koldskål, very beautiful. Thank you for linking to my page.

arbuziary said...

mmmm!
it looks so tasty..
I dont event want to wonder how it tastes..