Sunday, January 15, 2006

European Blogging By Mail 3: A tasty parcel from Greece



I really enjoyed participating in the first round of European Blogging By Mail back in August, when I got a wonderful parcel from Johanna of The Passionate Cook. This time I got a lovely parcel full of various culinary goodies from Shalimar of Wanderlust: for the love of food & travel. Sha - who is originally from the Philippines, but lives in Greece - has described the contents of the parcel on her blog in great detail, so I’ll be brief here.

On the left there are 3 bags of various flavoured teas – one of them with chocolate bits!!! I tried the green tea with cinnamon and orange and it was really fragrant and soothing.

On the top right there's a packet of instant beef-flavoured soup. I'm a bit wary of this one as it says "Spicy" on the packet. I'm a bit worried whether I can stand the heat. I'll let you know.

Also on the right is a bar of Nestle chocolate and a selection of various mini chocolates (the green ones with nuts were first to disappear!)

The Tupperware box contains some coconut macaroons and really tasty cookies – I will be scanning Sha's blog for the recipe!

A bag of walnuts and two plastic bags with flour-vanilla-baking powder that were to be used with Sha's recipe for crispy chocolate brownies. And that's what I did. The recipe was easy to follow and resulted in a yummy tray of gooey-nutty chocolate brownies. Sha says that it's one of her favourite comfort foods, and these were very comforting indeed on a chilly Scottish weekend.



Efharisto, dear Shalimar!

Check out Johanna's roundup of the EBBP3. My own comforting foodie parcel went to Fini of Cocinalia in Spain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are welcome pile.
Hope the extra one arrives on time too!
lovely brownies...;-)
dont worry its not too spicy it will certainly shoo the cold feeling away.

Pille said...

Hi Sha - the brownies were very nice indeed! I'm glad you're saying the instant soup isn't too spicy, I was a bit worried. Few years ago I used to share a kitchen with 10 international students, including a girl from Thailand. For our regular kitchen dinners, she once made a special dish from home, but super-super-super mild for the European palates. According to her, that is. The only other person who could stand the heat was a girl from Taiwan:) Somehow I thought that Philippine food is as spicy as some of the other cuisines in that faraway part of the world..
PS Will email you as soon as the part 2 arrives!

Anonymous said...

Filipino cuisine is partly influenced by Spain...

Pille said...

Sha - I must admit I didn't know that. But I'll be visiting your blog frequently to learn more about your cuisine!