Monday, January 16, 2006

Fig tarts with brown sugar mascarpone

I had two Estonian girlfriends over for a leisurely dinner on Saturday night, where we compared each others' Christmas holiday notes and plans for the new year. We had a Georgian chicken stew - chakhohbili - for the main course, and puff pastry tarts with figs and brown sugar mascarpone for the dessert. We drank Italian white wine and copious amounts of water infused with cucumber & lime slices.

Puff Pastry Tarts with Figs & Brown Sugar Mascarpone
(Viigimarjakoogid)

I came across this simple yet delicious dessert in a donna hay magazine (Issue 20, Autumn 2005). I didn't change anything about it – though I did forget to dab the figs with butter before baking, and I'll do that next time as well.

Cut puff pastry into 10x5 cm rectangles, put onto a baking tray and sprinkle with caster sugar.

Cut ripe figs into quarters and place on the pastry sheets. Sprinkle with brown sugar.



Bake in a 200˚C oven for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.

Serve with a dollop mascarpone cheese that has been mixed with brown sugar (about 2 Tbsp of sugar per 250 gram tub of mascarpone).



Again, a really simple and tasty dessert that will definitely be a keeper. The two guests had not eaten figs before, and were totally converted.

Next time I will cut the puff pastry into small squares and top each with just a quarter of a fig – this way I'd get nice small desserts that can be eaten with fingers.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

those tarts look so cute!

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds quite delicious. I'll be back for the Georgian Chicken Stew recipe.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, this looks delicious and tempting!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks very lush, treating yourself like that DAILY? Why, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, or ever, it' s so unimpressive! Just wandering how you manage to keep your figure. Must have a metabolism to die for. gelous....

Clivia said...

Wow! I like it when a minimum of effort gets such a gorgeous result! Short report: I got Nigella´s "Feast" yesterday and absolutely love it. Love it! I cannot understand I have not got one of her books before. But the thing is I didn´t like her TV show and then I didn´t care about her books either. What a writer she is! And wonderful recipes and photos. I want to cook everything, even soup of yellow peas which I never liked...

Anonymous said...

Delicious! I like the idea that for the next time you plan on making it more finger sized food. I love the photo of the cut fig!

I've tagged you for the four meme here. I hope you can participate.

Paz

Cindy said...

I love the idea. Great tarts. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Pille I associate FIGS ON HOT SUMMER DAYS.. no one sell figs in Athens now. WE eat here following the season but this I will try when they start selling figs again or when I can get them from friends.

For me figs, temp going 40C, wasps ...

Ilva said...

I'm gonna try these next summer! The only problem is to remember it! Wonderful idea!

Pille said...

Clare & Bea & Cindy - thank you. I made "mini" versions this Tuesday, and these were even cuter:)

Kalyn - I'll post the Georgian Chicken Stew recipe soon, and will submit it for the Weekend Herb Blogging as well.

Roxie - well, I deserve to be treated daily, no? That's not true, I have plenty of non-memorable eating days. Re: the figure & metabolism - I guess I'm reasonably lucky. Until I was 20, I could eat anything (incl. copious amounts of chocolate) and still be just below 50kg at 1,70m - without going to the gym. Decade later, this is sadly no longer a case:)

Clivia - exactly. I should start giving stars for little effort/great result. I'm glad to hear you like the "Feast" - looking forward to reading how you get on with it!

Paz - I will post a picture of mini tarts soon!

Sha - if I'd try to eat only following the seasons here in Scotland, I'd never eat figs:(
And somehow the ones available here at the moment are incredibly aromatic, juicy and flavoursome. My Italian guest the other day (when I made mini versions) was impressed with the figs. But otherwise I totally agree with you. I'll be hopefully spending about 2 weeks in Greece this June, and I'm looking forward to eating the fruits that are in season then..

Ilva - I can always remind you by sending you a link to this post when I hear that figs are in season in Italy:)

Anonymous said...

Pille, these tarts are so pretty - they must taste as good as they look!

Pille said...

Thanks, Keiko - considering that you make most beautiful cakes and tarts, your compliment is very much appreciated:)