Sunday, May 04, 2008

Delicious Red Onion and Orange Salad Recipe



Here's an unusual salad I served on my birthday party just over a week ago. I had got some really beautiful and juicy, easy-peel Sicilian blood oranges from the grocery store, and I wanted to include them as part of the savoury buffet table. Having bookmarked this savoury orange salad recipe a while ago, it seemed like an obvious recipe to try. With just the tiniest of changes (improvements, obviously:), I made this salad. Alongside Ximena's wonderful balsamic-glazed sausages, this salad was another dish I had to make more of in the middle of the party, as it disappeared from the table in no time.

The sweet oranges, fruity olive oil, sharp red onions, acidic red wine vinegar, fiercy pink peppercorns - it's definitely a combination to try. Lovely. I used sweet blood oranges, as these look much more dramatic, but ordinary yellow ones would be just fine obviously.

Red Onion and Blood Orange Salad
(Apelsinisalat punase sibulaga)
Adapted from Piltti
Serves 4 to 6

2 to 3 large and juicy blood oranges
1 small red onion, diced
1 tsp caster sugar
a dash of red wine vinegar
a dash of extra virgin olive oil (I used Borges Organic)
whole pink peppercorns (dry ones, not in brine!)

Peel the oranges and slice thinly. Place on a serving tray, overlapping each other slightly.
Sprinkle with finely chopped red onion, then drizzle with wine vinegar and olive oil.
Season with sugar and scatter some pink peppercorns on top.

13 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Simple and elegant! The blood oranges really give this a dramatic look and I'm sure taste delicious.

David T. Macknet said...

Sounds wonderful!

Inne said...

That looks incredibly delicious Pille - and so easy to make! I'm going to add oranges and red onion to my shopping list right away.

Anonymous said...

What a unique salad. I like the look and sound of it. Happy belated birthday!

Paz

Kalyn Denny said...

Just gorgeous; perfect for a party!

maybelles mom said...

Yum, it looks beautiful. It is reminiscent of a orange, olive and onion salad that I make.

Dagmar said...

It looks fantastic! I love the colours!

ChichaJo said...

Oh Pille this sounds delicious! I can just imagine the taste...yum!

mimi said...

this looks absolutely delish! i love citrus and would never think of making something like this. thanks for a great idea!

Jeanne said...

What a wonderful combination of flavours and a stunning picture. Even though we don't get too many blood oranges over here, I think I'd try this even with just ordinary oranges...

Anonymous said...

I love the way you arranged the sliced oranges, besides it sounds very much like my kind of salad! Bookmarked - just like the coconut cream with rhubarb... ;)

ScienceMel said...

What a lovely dish. I never would have thought to combine oranges with onions and now am very curious as to the mix. Might have to make it for lunch this week.

Manuela © said...

What an original salad. Loved your recipes :) I am going to include you on my blog list.