Friday, May 16, 2008

Finally, the asparagus is in season in Estonia

... few weeks later for me than for many foodbloggers in the UK, Germany, US and elsewhere. But it's been worth the wait.

My first batch of green asparagus spears - bought from the Uus-Kongo stall at the Tallinn Central Market - were turned into two excellent dishes tonight, both savoured with gusto.

First, roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese (or local Valio Forte cheese this time):


(Röstitud sparglid parmesaniga)

Secondly, Sam's excellent Asparagus on Asparagus:


('Spargel sparglis' ehk aurutatud sparglivarred sparglidipiga)

I'm ashamed I threw away all those snapped-off asparagus spears last year, and wish I had known about this excellent asparagus dip last year. Thank you, Sam!!

11 comments:

Sylvie said...

Wonderful! Is green asparagus more popular than white in Estonia? I assumed that it would be white as usually found in Germany and Holland.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

It's finally asparagus season here in Rhode Island too. My favorite way to cook them is on the grill. Next favorite is to make a nice soup base, with a bit of onion and potato and asparagus. No cream. Absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you liked it Pille. I find it is a very 'pure' rendition of asparagus.

Brilynn said...

I just made the asparagus on asparagus tonight, it's great! That whole cookbook, (Happy in the Kitchen) is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I just bought some asparagus yesterday. Yum!

Paz

Patricia Scarpin said...

I do love asparagus, Pille, and these recipes sound and look amazing!

Kevin Kossowan said...

I've been so busy, I haven't had the chance to raid my dad's asparagus in his garden this year. Shameful. But I planted 30 of my own yesterday!! But it doesn't count, I need to eat some of this year's growth soon or it's going to feel like I missed christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad to see it's finally come in up your way! I wish Bulgarians grew asparagus...

Anonymous said...

That asparagus dip looks gorgeous!

Jeanne said...

Hurrah! Local asparagus! This looks like a fabulous idea. I only discovered the idea of peeling asparagus in the past 2 years or so and it makes SUCH a difference. Dead keen to try this dip now - thanks Pille & Sam!

Anonymous said...

everyone I visit cooks asparagus these days :-) lovely flavored butter, on a slice of crispy fresh bread, yum... I just wanted to le tyou know I am hosting Tried & Tasted event dedicated to cooking from other blogs. This month, we re cooking from Cynthia. Up for the challenge?