Monday, January 18, 2010

A Brilliant Lemon Cheesecake (and a Lemon Mousse)



I must confess - it's been a while since I made this cake. But it's been suddenly popping up on various Estonian foodblogs recently, so I thought I'll 'reclaim' it :D The original recipe was in BBC Good Food, but I've tweaked it a little.

In general, there are cheesecakes you bake and cheesecakes you set with gelatine. This one is neither - but yet it sets beautifully overnight - as long as you use good-quality cream cheese and a good-quality condensed milk (sweetened, of course). The consistency is beautifully creamy, almost mousse-like.

If you don't feel like making a cake, make the topping anyway. It makes a delicious lemon mousse of its own right (see the photo below).

Lemon Mousse Cheesecake
(Hõrk sidrunikreemitort)
Serves 8



Base:
100 g Divestive biscuits (about 10)
50 g butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar (optional)

Lemon Mousse Topping:
200 g cream cheese
400 g sweetened condensed milk
200 ml whipping cream, whipped
juice of 2-3 lemons (+ finely grated lemon zest, if you want a more pronounced lemon flavour)

Place the cookies into the bowl of your food processor and process until you've got fine crumbs. Stir in melted butter and sugar, if using. Press onto the base of Ø 24 cm springform tin.
Cream the cheese with a wooden spoon until soft, then stir in the condensed milk and lemon juice (+ zest, if using). Finally fold in the whipped cream.
Pour the filling over the Digestive base, smooth the top.
Place into the fridge to set for at least 12 hours (24 hours, if possible).
To serve, transfer the cake gently onto a serving plate and cut into slices.

11 comments:

Elis said...

See on üks mu lemmikumaid juustukooke (ma teen ainult ilma vahukooreta)!

Unknown said...

Are you crazy posting this recipes? I want a slice right now ;o)

Maarja said...

selle koogi kohta ma olen viimased nädalad ainult ülivõrdes kõnesid kuulnud!!!

ei pea vist mainima, et ma ei jaksa Aariga kokkusaamist ära oodata, et trehvata vajalike purgikestega...

Liis said...

NÄMM! Sidrun on mu lemmmik!!! Oehh. Pilleke, ma sööks ilmselt kohe pool ära. Ühe raksuga.

Kat said...

Mmmm, see näeb tõesti super välja. Ja mulle isegi ei meeldi eriti sidrun kookides ja magustoitudes.

Michael said...

Thanks for sharing to us this great lemon cheese cake recipe. I have been trying to make a lemon cheese cake for a longtime now and I always have problems with its flavor. I can't get the right amount of lemon to put in the cheesecake for it to taste just right. My wife will surely enjoy this cheesecake with coffee made from our new melitta coffee maker Great post and pics!

natural selection said...

Oh......! The texture of that Lemon cheese cake looks perfect.
Beautiful!

J

vahterliina said...

silmas pidades seda kuud, mis nüüd kohe tuleb, siis tea, kas sellest plaadisuuruse ka saaks, kui topeldada koguseid? või peaks heaga kaks ümmergust tegema...

Jeanne @ Cooksister said...

Hmmm, this reminds me of a recipe my mom used to make. Sounds wonderful (but won't do my diet any good!!)

Michael said...

One of the best cheesecakes I have tried in a long time. I always have a problem with my cheesecake as it turns our to be crumbly in the end. Now that I have tried your recipe, I made the perfect cheesecake. The lemon also gave it a wonderful twist in taste. It went really well with the cappuccino coffee I made. Great post and pics! Thanks a lot.

Puhvis Kukk said...

I'd say very very average... I was pretty disappointed.