Friday, January 29, 2010

Cheesy Jerusalem Artichoke Gratin



Remember my recipe for a silky Jerusalem artichoke & mushroom soup? I made another delicious sunchoke dish back in December, but never got around to blogging about it. Seeing the yummy-looking roasted sunchokes on Anne's blog today reminded me of the gratin I made - and will be definitely making again. I loved the slightly nutty and sweet flavour the Jerusalem artichokes gave to the dish. We enjoyed this with a simple green salad, but it would also make an excellent side dish to something meaty.

Cheesy Jerusalem Artichoke Gratin
(Maapirnisupp juustuga)
Serves 4

500 g Jerusalem artichokes / Sunchokes
500 g potatoes
butter
100 g cheese, grated
400 ml single or whipping cream
salt and black pepper

Peel the potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes, cut into very thin slices (kitchen mandoline is very helpful here).
Layer potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes and half of the grated cheese into a buttered oven dish, season layers with salt and pepper.
Scatter the rest of the cheese on top, pour the cream over.
Bake in a pre-heated 200 C oven for about 40-60 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked (the length of baking depends on the thickness of the vegetable slices).

11 comments:

thepassionatecook said...

mmmmh! that looks delicious! i'll sure be trying this out before the season is over here in the UK... the best things are only ever around for such a short time! xx

Dave -nibbleanibble said...

I love potatoes. And a look at the finish product...fantastic!
Love the texture.

Hannah said...

I've wanted to try Jerusalem artichokes for so long now, but have yet to come across them! What kind of cheese did you use here? The whole dish looks so rich and delicious!

Kat said...

nämm, tundub mõnus. tuletasid mulle meelde, et tahan maapirni proovida juba alates su eelmisest postitusest. ainult et see pole ju supp ;)

natural selection said...

That looks great gimme some!

Term Papers said...

We can enjoy this with a simple green salad, but it would also make an excellent side dish to something meaty.

Dima said...

This looks great.

sara said...

wow, look at that, I'm already drooling, great color, looks delicious

Manya said...

Pille, thank you for this idea. I finally made this last night, and it was delicious! Usually I do gratins with turnips and potatoes, but the jerusalem artichokes have a milder flavor. I used a mixture of Parmesan and Gouda, and sprinkled shaved ham and some parsley over the top. It was wonderful! I'll do this again for sure.

papawow said...

Wow, great recipe. I was looking for artichokes but now I think I need to go get some Jerusalem Artichokes instead. Thanks!

Jim Taylor, CRE, CPE, CPMM said...

Best way to find JA is to grow them. They look like tall sunflowers, are perennial and easy to grow. All you need are a few starts. If you can't find them locally or on the web let me know and I'll see if I can send you some.